• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching metal letters to a sandstone boulder

rfsign

I have a client who wants to put their building name and address on the side of a sandstone boulder. Does anyone have experience drilling into rock, sandstone in particular and installing metal letters? Any tips on the best way to accomplish this?

visual800

We drill into anyhting BUT also keep in mind I like to avoid drilling also. Depending on the company you get these from GEMINI or US SIGNS I would rather silicone pads than drill UNLESS these letters are huge....and remember IF you must drill order a pattern. Also if a letter has 5 studs in it ive only drilled 2-3 of them. Sometimes they overkill with the amount of stud per letter on small stuff

Also keep in mind for masonry bits you cant beat Bosch. Dont but none of that cheapass dewalt, skil, ryobi...BOSCH!

AUTO-FX

I would order letters with 3 inch stainless studs no pads, and ask for paper template. I like to use Gemini .
Choose a masonry bit size 1 smaller than the stud diameter. Sandstone is soft- it will drill out larger than the bit size.
I like to use GE silicone to fill the holes.
Are you going to do plastic or metal letters? I think metal would look pretty cool. Maybe some ground lighting hidden behind some small shrubs?

fmg

SDS Hammer drill, Masonry bit, pattern, silicone gun with tube of silicone and most important 'SAFETY EYEWEAR' = A happy customer. Good Luck

daveb

General Know-it-all
i would think a pad mount wouldnt last on sandstone it's soft and grainey.
:thumb:Plus it's soft and porous, a little moisture behind your silicone and it'll freeze and pop off in a year or two. Definitely studs, alum. or stainless with silicone in the hole to keep moisture out and your stud in.:clapping:

MikePro

what about ceramic drill bits? Never drilled into a boulder, but i'd imagine you'd get the same clean result as drilling through a ceramic tile wall.

granted, if your letters are fairly big... a hammerdrill is just as good, since you'll mask whatever chipping occurs.