• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching small acrylic letters to interior wall

gnubler

I'm going to do an install of some acrylic letters from Gemini. Interior wall tape mount. Some of the letters are pretty small and have the entire backs covered with mounting tape. Should I use silicone in addition to the tape? It was my understanding to use some dabs of silicone in areas where there's no tape. Can silicone be applied on the tape? And is it recommended to hold everything in place with masking tape across the faces for 24 hours to let the adhesives cure, or can I just install and be done with it? TIA.

20230406_133441.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya don't put dollops of glue on the tape.

How thick are those letters ?? That tape method is alright if they were foam, but acrylic is too heavy.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
The tape is more than sufficient. The acrylic isn't too heavy. No silicone needed. These tapes are generally rated for around 20 pounds per square inch of sheer weight. Just press really hard to form a good bond. They'll be fine. No masking tape needed. Press and go.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've put them on before without silicone and had one fall off before. Ever since then I put small dabs of Lexel on there. Guess it's not common for it to fall off.

gnubler

Maybe it depends on the wall surface? Painted drywall in an office is where I'll be installing. 1/2" thick acrylic, I think the tape will hold okay as Moze mentioned. So yay or nay on dabs of acrylic on spots where there's no tape?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You don't need it but it's not going to hurt, so you might as well. Just make sure they're small enough so they don't ooze out.

NicMarKro

Maker of Weird Things
Totally not necessary to add silicone on normal painted drywall for that size of letters, you’ll be good with just the existing tape. Press hard and move on :)

Johnny Best

The dabs of silicone is going to be messy if you’ve not done it before. Bring rags to wipe away the silicone with a little mineral spifits.
I say forget silicone and as Moze suggested. Press the letters hard onto the wall.
Always used 3M VHB. Never the Oracal stuff. Good luck on another adventure.

ikarasu

We tape all the time and never silicone.

We used to tissue tape letters - but it doesn't give the letters / adhesive enough flex when the walls are moving / contracting due to heat changes / etc.

Vhb tape is thick though, and has some give to it.... So vhb shouldn't fall off, and I'd say you're ok with what you have on there now. Never used orajet tape before... But I imagine it's just as good as 3m vhb.

gnubler

This thread should be a poll...
Yes, like nearly every other thread here! There's never an easy answer to a simple question...

I'm going with tape only. If Gemini is sending these out with Orajet tape I'll take their word for it. They've probably tested different tapes with different sizes/weights of acrylics and deemed it good to go.

MikePro

big fan of tape & silicone, BUT tape won't stick to silicone and thin tape won't allow silicone to set thick enough to be of any use anyways.

+1 tape only

visual800

tape will suffice no silicone needed. Those letters are not heavy, you really dont need that much tape but that just me

JBurton

Signtologist
The dabs of silicone is going to be messy
I found out years ago, the secret to getting a mess of silicone off a wall is... don't worry about it, at least not until it dries. That sh*t doesn't so much wipe up as it does smear around, and it will change the finish of the paint once it does dry.
Silicone + tape is reserved for stuff that is heavy, walls that are incredibly textured (even then we opt for studs + silicone), or outdoor projects. Usually outdoors we just add a bead across the tops to keep rain from getting behind and potentially freezing.