• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

backlit vinyl that is Black during the day, and white at night

fresh

Am I dreaming? Isn't there a material that is black when front lit, and white when backlit?

I can't figure it out, but if it exists, I have the perfect application for it right now.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Yes it's a day/night perforated black vinyl. There are a few brands that make it so that is up to preference.

It's a black vinyl with a 50/50 or 60/40 perf pattern usually. So during the day it looks black and at night the white light bleeds through.

We have had the best luck with clear faces vs translucent white. The white faces tend to make the black look greyish to us.

Here is a link to a grey vinyl but they make black too: http://www.advantagesgs.com/3M-Light-Management-Day-Night-Film-3635-91-Smoke-Gray-48-x-10-yds

Andy D

Yes it's a day/night perforated black vinyl. There are a few brands that make it so that is up to preference.

It's a black vinyl with a 50/50 or 60/40 perf pattern usually. So during the day it looks black and at night the white light bleeds through.

We have had the best luck with clear faces vs translucent white. The white faces tend to make the black look greyish to us.

What Media said^^^ We do a good bit of these with 3M Day Night. It works best when applied to clear plastic and diffuser applied to the second surface,
when you apply it to white plastic it looks grayish during the day. Also, we apply a gloss window perf over laminate to make the black "pop" during the day.

visual800

that black/white stuff should be called black/Muddled brown.Hoever Im really digging the black perf for day nit signage

Marlene

there also is an acrylic that does this. it's been around for a long time and I think it was used for some JCPenny stores in my area. we didn't make thme so not sure

Attachments

• black white .jpg
    black white .jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 296

Andy D

there also is an acrylic that does this. it's been around for a long time and I think it was used for some JCPenny stores in my area. we didn't make thme so not sure

Yeah, we have used that too, but I don't like it, it's a dark gray during the day and a muddy light gray at night.

MikePro

I have also successfully substituted printed black-perf on clear for the ultra-expensive black perf vinyl, if you were looking for another option.

window tint vinyl also achieves this effect, the chrome one-way mirror stuff too.

J Hill Designs

you can actually print the perf any color and it will give the same effect (ie red day / white night)

or apply colored perf to colored acrylic (ie black day, yellow night)