• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backseat Designing/Sign-Making Mondays.

Joe Diaz

So for what ever reason, for the past month or two, I can't win. Customer comes in with a terrible design, and asks us to update their image. We ask: "can we start over with this logo?" They respond: "Yes".

We do a new designs, sometimes using elements that are worth saving from the old design, if any at all. Then the customer takes a look at the new and improved design and decides that they would rather have something more like the old design, maybe just move that down a little, or change that font. BUT make it like the old design... :banghead:

I'm getting tired of arguing for designs that are obvious improvements because the customer is nostalgic, or has some attachment to an old homemade design or nephew art. I know they aren't 100% happy with the design, because why would they ask to have it changed?

So I had an idea. I do my best to provide the most effective designs for customers within my abilities. Same goes for everyone else here when designing and making signs... But some customers won't budge. They believe they are the experts, and at a certain point I don't feel like arguing with them. I'm sure you all know these types of people.

So since Mondays are usually crappy anyway (at least compared to the rest of the week). I've been thinking about offering a "special" at our shop: Backseat Designing/Sign-Making Mondays. Customers can come in, stand behind us all day and tell us exactly what to do.

Obviously our hourly rates would change for that special... and a large LED clock on the wall would tick away so the customer can see how long we have been working with them. They would be able to change their mind as much as they want. You want to browse through my huge collection of fonts???? go for it.... Tick Tock Tick Tock. Can I see what that might look like in every color of the rainbow??? Sure thing.... Tick Tock Tick Tock. So what do you think of that??? No?? Okay how is this??? Tick Tock Tick Tock.

:Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So for what ever reason, for the past month or two, I can't win. Customer comes in with a terrible design, and asks us to update their image. We ask: "can we start over with this logo?" They respond: "Yes".

We do a new designs, sometimes using elements that are worth saving from the old design, if any at all. Then the customer takes a look at the new and improved design and decides that they would rather have something more like the old design, maybe just move that down a little, or change that font. BUT make it like the old design...
:banghead:

I'm getting tired of arguing for designs that are obvious improvements because the customer is nostalgic, or has some attachment to an old homemade design or nephew art. I know they aren't 100% happy with the design, because why would they ask to have it changed?

So I had an idea. I do my best to provide the most effective designs for customers within my abilities. Same goes for everyone else here when designing and making signs... But some customers won't budge. They believe they are the experts, and at a certain point I don't feel like arguing with them. I'm sure you all know these types of people.

So since Mondays are usually crappy anyway (at least compared to the rest of the week). I've been thinking about offering a "special" at our shop: Backseat Designing/Sign-Making Mondays.
Customers can come in, stand behind us all day and tell us exactly what to do.

Obviously our hourly rates would change for that special... and a large LED clock on the wall would tick away so the customer can see how long we have been working with them. They would be able to change their mind as much as they want. You want to browse through my huge collection of fonts???? go for it.... Tick Tock Tick Tock. Can I see what that might look like in every color of the rainbow??? Sure thing.... Tick Tock Tick Tock. So what do you think of that??? No?? Okay how is this??? Tick Tock Tick Tock.

:Big Laugh
You might wanna put some extra thought to this on how it's worded. They might ask you to perform some things you really didn't intend. :omg:

Hey, why don't you just have a 'Customer Appreciation Day' and tell them what to do and how you really feel about them.

Don't keep this stuff bottled up or you just might vent on one of them someday and paint yourself into a corner........ no pun intended.

Joe Diaz

Ohhh I had a few more ideas...

We should make a form that they would fill out, saying that we aren't responsible for any side effects that would result from the customers decisions.

Then film the whole day, archive it and post them online.... for "industry research".:Big Laugh

Then try to sell them "sign insurance".

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Fred posted a link a few years ago to a desktop timer you can put your hourly rate into and let the customer see the meter running. Wondering if he still knows what that is and where to find it?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Bigdawg

Just Me
Love it Joe... Some days I feel reduced to a hand on a mouse instead of someone who actually knows what she's doing.

I just tweaked a logo for someone... the outer edge was uneven, type was pseudo-italicized. All I did was even the edge out... replace the tagline type with non-italicized (ALL type on the rest of the logo is italic)... and took the extra pseudo-italic off the Zapf Chancery part of the logo...

I was then told that all of that was done on purpose.

Did I mention it's our company logo that the (engineer not designer) owner created before he ever hired a designer to work for him?

He doesn't get that it's just as bad as any other piece of art we've seen that has been designed by the non-designer business owners...

and after 3 years I'm done trying to tell him.

Joe Diaz

Oh oh!!!. One more thing to add, they point their finger and touch my monitor, to tell me where something goes, the price goes up 15%.

Jane Diaz

And here's another idea....after we listen to them tell us all about "what the read on the internet about design"....we could charge them $125 to hand them a piece of paper with the "prescription" to drive to another place and stand in line to pick up their little bag with the sign in it. What do you think??

GypsyGraphics

i had a lady call several times about logo work, each time saying she hadn't found anyone else she wanted to use, but couldn't afford my corporate identity rate. finally, she asks if she can just buy a two hours of my time, which is fine.

i had a pretty good idea what this gal would be like just from her annoyingly whiny phone calls, and certainly wasn't expecting a fun filled few hours with her... but i also wasn't expecting this...

i tell her when we reach the 2 hour mark... she pulls out her check book and writes a check for $200.00. after she's written the check she asks if we can just try a few more fonts... sure. she spends another hour and a half saying "now can we try this" and "i think i'd like to add."

3.5 hours in, she happy.... until... i tell her i saved the file at the two hour mark and if she wants this file she has to pay for the additional time.

mikey-Oh

Thanks for the stop watch link. My over the shoulder client for the day said he'd be here in 15-20mins.... but that was 45 mins ago. :doh:

Last edited:

Ken

I hear ya Joe.
I have this guy..he has a '39 Ford Hotrod...wants flames..but not in your face..he wants ghost flames..I guess I can refer to this person as a friend..so, I'm taking it easy on him with the billing.
So, I went to his place...2 kliks up the road..no big deal. Take the photos.
LOad the photos to Corel..and with an over-the-shoulder..finger touching monitor kinda person..we start the layout. Yes..FIRST THING...."DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR!!"

GoodPeopleFlags

i had a lady call several times about logo work, each time saying she hadn't found anyone else she wanted to use, but couldn't afford my corporate identity rate. finally, she asks if she can just buy a two hours of my time, which is fine.

i had a pretty good idea what this gal would be like just from her annoyingly whiny phone calls, and certainly wasn't expecting a fun filled few hours with her... but i also wasn't expecting this...

i tell her when we reach the 2 hour mark... she pulls out her check book and writes a check for $200.00. after she's written the check she asks if we can just try a few more fonts... sure. she spends another hour and a half saying "now can we try this" and "i think i'd like to add."

3.5 hours in, she happy.... until... i tell her i saved the file at the two hour mark and if she wants this file she has to pay for the additional time.

That is awesome!!! I bet the look on her face was priceless! Did she pay?

GypsyGraphics

That is awesome!!! I bet the look on her face was priceless! Did she pay?

Ok, what happened, did she pay for the SAVE or not?

she was livid!!! kinda scared me a little. even after i only charged her $300 she said she felt tricked and that she was going to take her file elsewhere for printing... i told her i thought that was best.

a couple of weeks later she sent me an email asking me to have her cards printed, that she was very unhappy with the printer she used and that she was desperate.

i didn't reply to her email, but a few days later she called... i told her she should find someone she trusts to work with. she said she trusted me, but that she had only budgeted $200. i said "i guess you owe me an apology then."
i felt like her mother... well, what do you have to say for yourself young lady.

she apologized... i printer her cards, but made her pay 100% up front.

PromoGuyTy

she was livid!!! kinda scared me a little. even after i only charged her $300 she said she felt tricked and that she was going to take her file elsewhere for printing... i told her i thought that was best.

a couple of weeks later she sent me an email asking me to have her cards printed, that she was very unhappy with the printer she used and that she was desperate.

i didn't reply to her email, but a few days later she called... i told her she should find someone she trusts to work with. she said she trusted me, but that she had only budgeted $200. i said "i guess you owe me an apology then."
i felt like her mother... well, what do you have to say for yourself young lady.

she apologized... i printer her cards, but made her pay 100% up front.

Way cool.

I'm starting a list of customers that I expect an apology from.