• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Triangle ink cartrdiges warning!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It really pains me to even post this as I'm generally not one to post something like this but I've hit the end of the line.

Since around August of last year Triangle has had a long run of 440ml cartridges which have defects that cause the empty flag to fail to come out. This is the plastic tab the pops out the near the bottom of the cartridges which triggers you printer to STOP printing. Contrary to what you might think - (at least on a Mimaki JV33) the chip on cartrdige will actually work indefinitley once it runs down to 1. It will never stop working as long as the empty flag on the cartridge pops out at which point the printer will write to the chip that it is empty and stop printing.

This has now happend to us over a dozen times. The first few times I figured it was a fluke and went on with life. Finally back in December I sent a message to Triangle from their website. A few days later I get an email apologizing for the problems and asking if I'd kindly ship them any of the defective cartrdiges we had not already tossed - he even gave Triangles FedEx # to ship them on their dime so they coudl inspect the cartridges and try to find the source of the problem. Fast forward to mid February - I've had it happen a couple more times so I email the guy at Triangle and took a guess at the CEO's email and CC'd him as well. That did get a quick response as well as a couple of phone calls from another tech at Triangle. He said they were aware of the issue and have taken action to make sure the problem is corrected. He assured me the current ink stock at Fellers is the new problem corrected cartridges and said he would ship me a set of ink at no charge for the problems but it would take a week.

I needed ink - so taking their word called Fellers and ordered a few that I needed to get us by till the other came in. So here I am today - tight deadline job due tomorrow morning, printing about 110 feet of 54" vinyl at high resolution that has to be cut into about 600 peices. All day non stop print job - printer has 4 full backup cartridges and the other 4 are about a quarter full or so. We have been busy on other projects so the printer has been printing pretty much unattended the entire day - nothing unusual. My employee comes up near the end of the day - says the prints look odd....

2 cartridges - Cyan and Black are BONE DRY! Empty flags did not pop out so our trusty Mimaki thinks it still has ink and happily keep on chugging away just dry firing on 4 ink channels. I'm sure this is good for the printhead.

Anyways - if you are using Triangle - be very alert if you think a cartrdige might be low. It might actually be sucked totally dry and never let your machine know.

Happy fun pictures of empty cartridges with no empty flags out and 80ish feet of wasted material, yellow and magenta ink, an entire days production and where I now have to pay an employee overtime to now spend the night here so we can meet the deadline on this job. :banghead:

Attachments

• tri1.jpg
    tri1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
  • tri2.jpg
    tri2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 65
  • tri3.jpg
    tri3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 76

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Less gamut for 50% higher cost? No thanks - the fix is I'm going to change the JV33 over to bulk like I did our JV3.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I have Sericol inks in my Roland....great results so far. Couple of mishaps on their part...but they made good. Its a bulk ink system based on cartridges...but its visual. Keep the ink between the lines...and you're good to go. Tough for long runs...have to top off after a day of printing sometimes. But as long as you can see, you'll never run dry. Bulk ink is way to go with whatever brand you utilize.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It's only fair that I update this. After a blasted the rather nasty email my case has received some additional attention. After a some talks with both Triangle and Fellers I want to report that Triangle has assured me they are very much working fast and hard to fix the problem with the empty flag on the cartrdiges. They have assured me that they are working with distributors and others to make sure this is taken care of. They have also assured me they have taken steps including changing suppliers on the actual plastic cartrdiges and adding more checks on quality on the plastic cartrdige housings to assure this does not happen to anyone going forward. They have also extended quite an olive branch to us through Fellers to make things right for us which I will be taking them up on.

While I still feel they could have handled the situation better they are still making amends. We have all had problems at one point or another that we wish we had handled different as well. That being said - this has been going on since the fall of 2011. When they really realized it was a serious issue they shoudl have contacted every distributor, pulled all stock back, asked for lists of all purchasers and made at least a token contact to let users know to look out for the problem and to contact if any issues.

Anyway - once the dust settles soon I will update again. Possibly with a review of something rather new.... :wink: