• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding on Epson SC 30600

paulica

Hello,

We have an Epson SC30600, with a EFI RIP.

1. We have an issue with banding, especially in 720x720 high speed and 720 x 720 production.

20130809_141017 (1).jpg

This is how the print turns out. I have created length adjustment etc, and still same result. Anyone seen this ?

Hello,

We have an Epson SC30600, with a EFI RIP.

1. We have an issue with banding, especially in 720x720 high speed and 720 x 720 production.

View attachment 92438

This is how the print turns out. I have created length adjustment etc, and still same result. Anyone seen this ?

This appears to be a feed calibration (dark banding) issue. Run the feed calibration adjustment (don't know the specific name for this on the Surecolor) and increase the feed distance for this media.

paulica

thank you for your response.

If you look closely, you will also see uneven color on both the red and the black.

Media adjustment was done, also using the service software from epson, and still the same result. The funny thing is that if you measure 1.5m of print at the end, it is exactly 1.5m. Usually if feed adjustment would be the problem, when doing it manually and checking the distance, this would be different.

We tried with a 3m banner, and it turned out 3m exactly when measured.

Am I getting something totally wrong, or if the feed adjustment would be the issue, the print should have been shorter in this case, or longer when white bands occur ?

thank you for your response.

If you look closely, you will also see uneven color on both the red and the black.

Media adjustment was done, also using the service software from epson, and still the same result. The funny thing is that if you measure 1.5m of print at the end, it is exactly 1.5m. Usually if feed adjustment would be the problem, when doing it manually and checking the distance, this would be different.

We tried with a 3m banner, and it turned out 3m exactly when measured.

Am I getting something totally wrong, or if the feed adjustment would be the issue, the print should have been shorter in this case, or longer when white bands occur ?

In many of not most RIPs, media feed compensation and distance correction are entirely separate functions from each other.

Snydo

I can't tell from the photo, but if the banding is lining up perfectly with your pinch rollers, they are to blame. We had wierd banding with our 30670 after about 6 months of heavy use. Tech came in and replaced them with teflon pinch rollers and problem solved.

I should clarify that I'm talking about the color shifts being in line with the pinch rollers. Best of Luck.

Last edited:

paulica

I can't tell from the photo, but if the banding is lining up perfectly with your pinch rollers, they are to blame. We had wierd banding with our 30670 after about 6 months of heavy use. Tech came in and replaced them with teflon pinch rollers and problem solved.

I should clarify that I'm talking about the color shifts being in line with the pinch rollers. Best of Luck.

The shift in color is actually perpendicular to the pinch rollers movement, and parralel to the head movement. If I understand correctly what you say, the banding should be in the feed direction, correct ? If this is so, it would probably be paper contamination by the pinchrollers.

It's strange that this phenomenon doesn't occur in 720x1440 production and high quality. Only in 720x720 printing modes.

For example, we are unable to print banners at high speed, as we either get a dark band or a white one. It's getting frustrating.

a77

I also have the s30, just got it and learning/profiling it.

I only get that when I run it at the 720x720 1pass (extremely fast) mode...
Hard to tell, but is that what your "high speed" mode is?

Let us know if you come up with a solution, I will do some more testing on my end.

My feed calibration seems to be bang on, but wondering if we can tweak (i.e. override) the printer settings for feed rates through the rip to minimize or get rid of this banding?

paulica

I also have the s30, just got it and learning/profiling it.

I only get that when I run it at the 720x720 1pass (extremely fast) mode...
Hard to tell, but is that what your "high speed" mode is?

Let us know if you come up with a solution, I will do some more testing on my end.

My feed calibration seems to be bang on, but wondering if we can tweak (i.e. override) the printer settings for feed rates through the rip to minimize or get rid of this banding?

Hey there!

As it seems we have the same problem. The picture I uploaded was in high speed mode. It depends on what RIP you print, I do it in EFI, and only have 4 printing modes:

720 720 high speed
720 720 production
720 1440 production
720 1440 high quality

IThe photo itself was done as I said in 720 720 high speed. Still this shouldn't occur. Media feed adjustment was done from the machine and still no success.

What happens actually also when I print 720 720 production, I get banding! , more like a gradient banding.

If you can do this, please printa sample 20 cm long full colou, maybe search for cmyk picture on google, and take picture and post it. From what someone at Epson is telling me, it should still come out clean, even in high speed mode. Altough if you read the customer expectation manual it is a bit different. The manual claims that banding is expected to appear in every printing mode except high quality. r

a77

I am able to have no banding whatsoever with 6 pass 720x720. 4 pass needs me to start at it for some time and go real close to see anything.

1 pass is super fast.. I wouldn't expect it to be perfect. This document suggests 1 pass for billboards: http://www.epson.com/_alfresco/proimaging/products/SureColorS30670/SureColor_Best_Practices_v1.0.pdf

But it also says in there that you can play with the feed rate on the fly while printing and perhaps fix it manually.

I am a bit concerned about the onyx-specific info regarding microweaving... I am hoping to go with caldera.

a77

meant to say "4 pass needs me to stare at it for some time and go real close to see anything..."

paulica

meant to say "4 pass needs me to stare at it for some time and go real close to see anything..."

Since I use EFI XF, I have just 4 printing modes, I can't really choose printing passes. I just have printing resolution which implies standard number of passes.

Regarding printing in 4 passes, which in my case is 720x720, I must admit the print actually looks very close to the customer expectancy. It actually depends on the image itself.