• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner for "Blind Volleyball" need advice on construction

Stacey K

I like making signs
So, I need to make a sponsor banner to cover the volleyball court net. Size would be 96" tall x 38' wide, 2 sided. I'm attaching a photo of what I'm thinking. The sponsors might change yearly so we were going to print on the first year then put decals over them following years if sponsors change.

It's being used for one weekend a year. I'm thinking 13oz banner material. My material is 52" wide. Cut 2 lengths of 38' (trim bottom one) and to attach will regular seam tape work? Then on the top I'm thinking I could put the top two together and attach with grommets near the top. Then they can drape this over the net. It's "blind" volleyball so using a mesh for weight isn't going to work since you can see through it. Should I use 10z instead? I don't have any so would need to order some.

What are your thoughts on this? Any better ideas or will this work?

Attachments

• 334948123_225208663215420_8260590006197808904_n.jpg
    334948123_225208663215420_8260590006197808904_n.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 278

JBurton

Signtologist
Maybe worth while to look into a billboard face manufacturer like Kramer graphics. Only problem is the quality is far below anything you produce, but at .75 cents a square foot (that was pre covid I think) and to do it in one piece, it would probably be worth it to just get an image like a schools mascot printed, along with frames for the sponsors to go into, then you could add velcro tape and swap out banners yearly.
It would be my luck that a horizontal seam like this would get hung up/stepped on and drop the whole bottom half about 3 minutes into the game.

Never heard of blind volleyball, sounds like a joke where you convince the dim kid in class that basketballs are really just volleyballs with braille. Is there gambling involved?

2B

if you are doing it in-house, make 4 pieces (2 per side)
* top of the net to the bottom of the net
* bottom of the net to the ground

If outsourcing, 3 pieces
1 piece large enough to TACO the net, print (light grey) a center line for easy alignment on the net when it is draped over
2 pieces from the bottom of the net to the ground

you have to consider storage, being rolled vs folding
Who is installing / removing / handling, a solid piece 8' x 38' will be heavy and cumbersome

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'd use HH66 in place of banner tape or stitching (looks much cleaner). For the top I'd do a 2 or 3-inch overlap of the two sides and seam it again with the HH66. It would sit down over the top of the net like a saddle. We do 13oz monument wraps that are 10' x 16' with 3 horizontal seams. Zero failures in all the years we have been doing them. You can fold along the seams and then roll them onto a core for storage without them opening up.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think it's a bunch of drunk 20+ kids playing volleyball but you can't see the other team...sounds stupid to me!

Thanks for all the ideas, I think I know what I'm going to do now!

2B

I feel like this is going to be really heavy for the net.

with it being 96" h, use corplast,
lighter than a banner, and with it being 96"h it "should" touch the ground to take more weight off of the net.

have grommets every 24" on 3 sides so the panels can be zip tied together and to the top of the net

Stacey K

I like making signs
Just wanted to update everyone on this. I used 13oz banner material. I created a 7" flap on top and every 3' put 2 grommets 2" apart on each side. After that was done I applied vinyl decals to it. They installed it and used it this past Saturday and it worked great! They find it a bit heavy so they used a nylon rope across the entire thing to pull some of the weight off the volleyball net. He used single bed sheets on the bottom which he said next year he would use a tarp attached to the backside of the banner so it looked a little nicer.

I charged for the banner material itself then added my labor for grommets, measuring, moving around. As I was doing that I printed all the logos out at 36"x36", no lamination.
I charged for the decals separately and the installation of them as each year they will add/remove so I wanted to keep that a separate expense.

Total time for everything was 2 hours working quickly. Good thing becuase I kinda forgot about it until the night before LOL Luckily out of the 6 logos I had 5 of them print ready from past jobs, just spent 10 minutes recreating one.

Probably could have charged more for the banner part but it was a bit of a learning experience. Made up for it doing the decals since I had all but one print ready but charged as if I didn't.

signdudegraphix

When I saw “blind volleyball”, my first thought was Who’s going to see the banner anyway? I would have just designed it and farmed it out to print.