• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner grommeters- Hiker vs. Fasnap

Gene@mpls

We broke another frame (cast iron) on our Fasnap. I keep looking at the Hikers but have
never seen one in the flesh. I used to buy just the frames for the Fasnap but I don't recall where. Any advise? Thanks Gene

rcook99

Gene, I have to ask how in the world you can break them? I have had mine for 3 years and never had a problem. Is it possible maybe they are not adjusted correctly which is causing you to push on the handle harder than necessary?

wildside

i have also broken fasnaps several times before. Bought a hiker this last time and seems like a sturdier piece and have been going strong for 5+ years on it, the fasnaps would break in 2 years usually. Don't know why they broke but the actual cast metal broke.

Mosh

I have had my stimpson for 21 years. Only changed the die on it one time. It will punch grommets in Max-Metal panels even.....

player

The Hiker has a plastic tray to put grommets in while using the tool. Handy.

It also has a true 1/2" grommet.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's always entertaining when the "Which is the best grommet machine?" subject come around on the big topic wheel. There are seemingly endless provincial testimonials to whatever grommet machine each author happens to own.

One more time: Most all grommet machines do exactly the same thing in exactly the same way with exactly the same grommet**. The only difference is local prejudice.

**There are knock-offs from the Pacific Rim that have the die on the bottom and the anvil on top as well as some obscure machines that seem to require proprietary grommets. These are to avoided at all costs unless you like beating up on yourself at grommet time.

slopoke

I've had both the Stimpson and the Hiker. I like my Hiker a lot better for 3 reasons:

- Love the tray to put the grommets in
- You can adjust how tight the grommet crimps (if the Stimpson is adjustable, I never figured out how). We grommet foam core which would get a pretty heavy dimple in it with the Stimpson.
- The angle on the handle is more ergonomic. I used to have to climb on my table or stand on a step-stool to put enough weight on the handle to set the grommets on the Stimpson, the starting point is different on the Hiker so it takes quite a bit less effort to set the grommets. Personally for me this was the biggest benefit - the rest was just icing on the cake.

The stimpson is adjustable. There is long bolt on the frame that acts as a stop for the handle. I often put grommets in foam board without dimpling.

I prefer the stimpson to fasnap but I've never had a hilker.

~Chris

Gene@mpls

I've had both the Stimpson and the Hiker. I like my Hiker a lot better for 3 reasons:

- Love the tray to put the grommets in
- You can adjust how tight the grommet crimps (if the Stimpson is adjustable, I never figured out how). We grommet foam core which would get a pretty heavy dimple in it with the Stimpson.
- The angle on the handle is more ergonomic. I used to have to climb on my table or stand on a step-stool to put enough weight on the handle to set the grommets on the Stimpson, the starting point is different on the Hiker so it takes quite a bit less effort to set the grommets. Personally for me this was the biggest benefit - the rest was just icing on the cake.

I am liking this- we have a couple of normal size peeps mixed in with the Neanderthals. The grommets we buy have the 'teeth' on the washer which I think works
well... anyone use them with a Stimson? Thanks Gene