• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hemming- What is the Best Equipment and Technique?

MontereySigns

We are looking to invest some money (Up to $3500) on some production banner hemming equipment. Which is better- sewing or welding, why, and how much?

Thank you for the information!

-Bud

Vinylman

Search

The search feature on this site can garner you MOST of the information you require. Use it, and read the already available comments that are
posted there. After reading past posts on your request THEN come back and ask any unanswered questions.

MontereySigns

Banner Hemming Research

OK, so I checked the discussions through past forums and found some information but not a real thorough analysis. Most contributors to the discussions were very happy with banner tape, and a few very happy with sewing.

Currently we tape, but I don't like the "puckered" look at the edges it gives the banner when the banner is rolled for delivery (will not fold banner). Plus, I slightly distrust the strength of even the strongest banner hemming tape.

What I was hoping to find was a discussion on welding/seaming equipment under $3500. We are not in the market for a 16' Miller Weldmaster, but something for a mid-size sign shop.

I am going to ISA and will check out vendors. If anyone is interested in what I learn please let me know and I will share.

Thanks,

-Bud

Junkie

We picked up a JUKI this year. All in all, we have the machine (double stitch), tuned up, table, thread, bobbins, etc for under $2000. We couldn't be happier with the purchase and set up. It will pay for itself in a few more months. We use to send most of our banners to a local company to have them sewn. After the cost of sewing + gas we were spending $5k+ a year. Personally, I like a sewn edge vs a tape hem or heat/weld hem. You can teach yourself to sew a perfect hem in a few days. We do have a hem tool to aid in hemming banners attached to the machine, but expect to eliminate it at some point. We had a job with 15 banners with pole pockets this week that we turned in 24 hours. It would have been a week turn around last year. You can pick up a good used machine for $1000 - $1500. You can probably spend less, but you may get less.

Jack Knight1979

We have a leister. We love it. I use it for pole pockets, welding banners, rarely for hems.

The leister is 5500.00 and too heavy/slow for welding hems. It takes forever to weld up hems on a banner. When it hiccups on a weld you just ruined a banner. As versatile as the leister is, it's not good for hemming.

I like tape because there is no stitching on the face of the banner. I do not like the edge pucker tape causes. If I get a complaint about the pucker I will weld it, but that's about once a year.

Junkie

We bought a JUKI 3188, but just about any commercial JUKI, Double Needle machine will do. Jump online and find a sewing machine seller/repair shop in your area and let them know what you are needing it for and they should be able to help you out with a good used machine. There are others, like Brother, that are good machine too. A new JUKI will run you about $3500. These machines are built like tanks, so a used unit is the way to go. We decided to go with a sewing machine over heat welding machine for a couple of reasons. 1. Much less expensive to get into 2. Ability to sew mesh and fabric banners which you cannot do with a heat welder.

Last edited:

MikePro

I LOVE banner tape and trust it to no end...
my tape supplier is even pushing "Hem-reinforcement tape" on us and that stuff seems pretty hefty. Supposed to hem with tape, and then overlap the hem with this stuff and it looks really good, buuuuut throwing more materials into banners we're trying to keep prices as low as possible just doesn't cut it anymore.
that being said:
I still will most likely jump to a stitching machine in the near future, as well.

Even though banner tape makes great hems, its a horrible way to make pole-pockets and we've got a big project coming up that requires lotsa D.S. banners with top/bottom pole pockets. Already have an outsource lined up to stitch for us, but if I can do it myself... I'd love to pocket the extra $$$.

i will most likely come back to this thread for some suggestions on make/model... so keep it comin'!

I LOVE banner tape and trust it to no end...
my tape supplier is even pushing "Hem-reinforcement tape" on us and that stuff seems pretty hefty. Supposed to hem with tape, and then overlap the hem with this stuff and it looks really good, buuuuut throwing more materials into banners we're trying to keep prices as low as possible just doesn't cut it anymore.
that being said:
I still will most likely jump to a stitching machine in the near future, as well.

Even though banner tape makes great hems, its a horrible way to make pole-pockets and we've got a big project coming up that requires lotsa D.S. banners with top/bottom pole pockets. Already have an outsource lined up to stitch for us, but if I can do it myself... I'd love to pocket the extra $$$.

i will most likely come back to this thread for some suggestions on make/model... so keep it comin'!

same here, same situation to. will more than likely look into a sewing machine for banners/pole pockets in the very near future.