• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner weights

SignStudent

I'm going to make a 15'x1' banner which will be hung on the ends between 2 poles and I'm wanting to know the best way to go about making it. Would a 13 oz banner hold up with just grommets on the ends or do I need to run a rope through the hem or something?

AUTO-FX

that's a long banner. better go with the rope for support, unless you're hanging it indoors. reinforce your corners with an extra layer of banner material - fit a 3" triangle into each corner under your hem and then grommet it.

AUTO-FX

PS. 13 oz will be okay short term, but heavier would be a better choice. if it's a two sided banner go with block out.

SignStudent

Okay, next question. Let's say I charge $x per sq ft on a normal 3x8 banner. How much do you suggest I charge for a banner such as this? Square footage is the same (just measured and I'm actually making it 16' long) but there's going to be waste since my smallest roll is 30". Also, I'll be adding the rope. This is a single sided banner by the way.

sfr table hockey

Okay, next question. Let's say I charge $x per sq ft on a normal 3x8 banner. How much do you suggest I charge for a banner such as this? Square footage is the same (just measured and I'm actually making it 16' long) but there's going to be waste since my smallest roll is 30". Also, I'll be adding the rope. This is a single sided banner by the way.

Keep in mind that if you hem tape the banner you have 16' x2 plus another 2' so approx 34 feet of hem tape compared to 22 feet on a 3'x8'.
That will add more for the extra hem tape and if you add up the total cost of your banner material 30" x 16' and look at your waste as half the vinyl then you will see that it's not a lot in $$ that is actually waste. The most extra I would charge would be the actual cost of the wasted material which would not be a whole lot more.

When I add my grommets I run one on each corner but along the top and bottom I will set two grommets, starting 2' from the corner, about 2"-3" appart and then another set 2' further and so on so that when you run the rope through the banner it weaves in and out ( of the double set grommets ) and keeps the front of the banner neat with the rope only showing in that 2"-3" strip. Not sure if I exsplained that very well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you’re only installing this from the two ends with grommets and it’s outside for anything more than a few days…. you should have the hems sewn, corners gusseted and use 19oz media. Anything less is foolish. If this thing lets go on a windy say… guess who is going to be blamed ??

The correct way would be to string a top and bottom cable and clip you banner onto the cables and use the four corner grommets just for centering the banner, not the actual holding power.