• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best bang for my bucks

royster13

Yes good work does almost sell itself, but if a guy like me gets to your potential client before you get off your butt to go see them, I can take that sale away from you......Most new shops do not have the luxury of enough "walk in sales" so they have to go out and sell...And many clients are lazy so if I see them before they take the time to go to you, I get the sale.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA......................................

Very interesting thread.... very interesting.......... but schtoopid !!

I'll tell you what you want to hear...at the last place I worked we bought some cheap crapper from ebay for 4-500 came with flexi-starter so you could cut with it...I think it was seiki tech...
We bought it to take some load off the main graphtec plotter..

Yeah it was terrible, made an awful noise (like space invaders), and needed some tweaking...stopped mid cut sometimes, port errors other times, and a major static issue where it would freak out and cut a line through everything...BUT! It worked...and is still in use 2 years later.

NOW if you don't know anything about this type of equipment or how to fix it and get your settings right...I wouldn't suggest it.

By the end we were cutting t-shirt vinyl and contour cutting our prints with it....(manual registration)...It was good enough throw in a few redos..

Surely there is someone in your town you can give your vector artwork to and have them plot it...you can weed and tape it for a decent price.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You also have to be alert of the infamous computer worms running wild in the cheaper setups. They'll create total havoc and do things you aren't even aware of. :rolleyes:

Some people here have first hand knowledge of that stuff.

ThatGuysCSP

Thanks for all of the honest input everyone. I have decided to sub out work to the sticker guy I had gone to previously. I wanted to get pricing on custom stickers and details but he said that since a lot of the orders are "made to order" that the best way to go would be to provide an order sheet, and get back to the customer with a price quote. However he did give me some pricing on banners. He said I would be able to sell banners for $6 to $7 dollars a square foot easily and that his price would be $3.50 a square foot. Not too familiar with the pricing on banners but does that sound like a good deal?

ThatGuysCSP

you weren't seeing things; there are several manufacturers that make print/cut devices...Mimaki, Roland, Mutoh, Summa....
The decals you purchased for $1 a piece sound like thermal resin prints

Is that a good price for that service or way of production?

By the way I'm 90% sure he uses avery vinyl. Is that a good product?

Snydo

Avery vinyl is fine.....there are numerous grades of vinyl for any manufacturer the question is, is it low grade calendered or high grade cast? The price/quality difference is enormous when talking vinyl.
As for the banner prices, $3.50 sq. ft. seems fair if the quality is there.