• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best sub 500 laptop

GP

In an attempt to actually clock out from work, we try not to have a computer at the house.

But, this has resulted in using our 10 yr old gateway from college, whcich takes three attempts and a good thirty minutes to boot up (no exaggeration).

What we need is a 400 dollar laptop. Something fast enough to stream a movie, download a sushi menu and check non work related emails.

What we don't need is something with the capability to load illustrator or QuickBooks.

Get my drift?

Anyone see a good buy out there recently?

Jackpine

HP has a few around $500.00. I have one i5 chip, windows 7, 6 gig ram, 17"screen, $525.00. HP Pavilon g series. Office Max on sale.

royster13

So you do not want a laptop.....Most all will run Illustrator, etc......Maybe a Blackberry Playbook?....

tomence

tomence

That one's no good it will run illustrator and QuickBooks...LOL

SC

The way i understood him is that he does not need to load illustrator or qb. So for checking emails and watching movies i think this one is a great buy at that price.

visual800

aint nothing wrong with the laptop you have. reformat it! be like brand new. reload windows, cut all updates off , all microsoft security crap and load the basic items you want....done!

GP

Thanks everyone - May try to re-format the existing drive and keep using (and deal with the missing "c" key for a few more years).

I found a couple of nice HPs on sale around town. It is the 6D model. Seems like a decent buy at $468.

petesign

woot.com will occasionally have a really good one on sale, and newegg.com is pretty much where i start when I am looking for computers or parts.

I second the android or ipad idea. You'll love it.

Pat Whatley

You're just looking for an internet machine. You can get a good Netbook for around $300 that will do everything you're asking for.

A tablet will work great, too. I've got a 10" viewsonic g-tablet. If you get it and root it you'll have a $200 system that will blow away an ipad.

I've also got this laptop http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3443247&CatId=4935 I know you're not looking for a work computer but I run photoshop, illustrator, muse and flexisign on mine as seamlessly as I do on the desktops at the shop. Best $400 I've ever spent on a computer.