• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to make a template for a dirtbike + printing info

ced64k

Hi,

Here is my first post, I'm newbie to sign printing :D I have two questions :

- I want to make 2 graphic kits for dirtbike. But these motorcycle are little bit old and not very common so base template in pdf or something are not available. What's the best to make a template ? Masking tape ? Other adhesive films ? The surface is not flat, it's a lot of curve, little holes, etc. Then I intend to scan these template, redraw everything in Illustrator and make sure that will fit perfectly with the correct scale.

- For printing I have a friend who works in a coworking specialized in printing. Printing on vinyl shouldn't be a problem for them. But I don't have a clue about what kind of materials and printing techniques needed for dirtbike. It must be waterproof, highly adhesive, resits to gasoline, rocks, etc.
I read that it's generally solvent or latex printed on vinyl with a laminated layer of thick transparent vinyl and then precisely cut with a vinyl cutter machine. Can you recommend me some vinyls and printers generally used for this ? The goal is to ask to correct thing to the printing guy :)

Thank you :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Templates for shapes commonly found on motorcycles are often best made from Phototex wall covering media. You can apply it to the object, mark or cut or whatever your template, remove the media, re-apply it to a flat surface, scan it or photograph it, import it, and scale it. The nice thing about Phototex is that it's easily removable and re-applyable all the while maintaining dimensional stability.

As far as printing, media, laminates...Everyone has their favorites. It's far better that you should develop your own prejudices in this area rather than copy someone else's.

x2chris7x

Templates for shapes commonly found on motorcycles are often best made from Phototex wall covering media. You can apply it to the object, mark or cut or whatever your template, remove the media, re-apply it to a flat surface, scan it or photograph it, import it, and scale it. The nice thing about Phototex is that it's easily removable and re-applyable all the while maintaining dimensional stability.

As far as printing, media, laminates...Everyone has their favorites. It's far better that you should develop your own prejudices in this area rather than copy someone else's.

+1, but we use standard application tape to make templates... We also like to draw a box with a ruler on the template, 1" x 1", to help with scaling once scanned in.