• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big squeege for wall murals?

Signed Out

Will be installing an 80'x14' wall mural soon and wondering if a big squeege would speed it up much. The panels will be 52"x14' installed vertically, and go from ceiling to floor. Have read a lot on here at how well the big squeege works, but have never used one myself. Would it work well for this type of install? My main concerns are how well will the seams line up, does the bs tend to wander? Also will it be difficult to use so close to the ceiling? With 14' long 52" wide panels, will it require 2 people to run the bs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

phototec

Will be installing an 80'x14' wall mural soon and wondering if a big squeege would speed it up much. The panels will be 52"x14' installed vertically, and go from ceiling to floor. Have read a lot on here at how well the big squeege works, but have never used one myself. Would it work well for this type of install? My main concerns are how well will the seams line up, does the bs tend to wander? Also will it be difficult to use so close to the ceiling? With 14' long 52" wide panels, will it require 2 people to run the bs?

Any insight greatly appreciated.

The BS works very well for this type of application, however like with all manual tools, you are doing the driving, so if you apply more pressure on one side than the other, YOU could cause the material to stretch (wander as you put it), it's NOT the BS causing this effect.

[video=youtube;U-Dmzlc6bD4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Dmzlc6bD4[/video]

Are you over lapping the seams or doing but joints?

It's usually better to build-in over lap in the design and apply the panels to match with an overlap, then come back and cut through both panel creating the butt seam if that is what you want.

Be careful NOT to stretch the material as you install it.

Here are some more videos that may help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80V0tYJiE7s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tbmlGxcr8

Signed Out

I figured the bs was capable, but you alluded to what I was afraid of, driver error. The install of this mural is next monday and tuesday. So even if I can get a bs in time for the job... we'll have little to no time to practice with it and don't want to learn on the fly with this job. Install is in a mall, after hours.

That being said, I'm still tempted to try. How long would you think it would take for an experienced vinyl installer to get the hang of it? A couple practice runs in the shop with scrap vinyl enough?

The last video you posted really makes me want to roll the dice...

mpn

Just finished installing panels the exact size you're working with. Same situation on time as well,but went with 6 & 12 inch squeegees for the same reason. ( no big squeegee experience on walls ) Also didn't want to try it from the lift either.

Phototec's video has me wanting to try it as well now.

Signed Out

Just finished installing panels the exact size you're working with. Same situation on time as well,but went with 6 & 12 inch squeegees for the same reason. ( no big squeegee experience on walls ) Also didn't want to try it from the lift either.

Phototec's video has me wanting to try it as well now.

Can I ask what type of vinyl you used and about how long your install was? We think we want to use an air release vinyl, unlaminated but with medium tack application tape. We are thinking of adding app tape to make the install easier, unlaminated vinyl tends to stretch, but laminate isn't necessary for this job.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
That first video is awesome!

Doing a project of the size you mention, I would insist on an air release vinyl and definitely use the Big Squeegee. If you don't use an air release vinyl, I think it would trap too much air underneath, primarily due to irregularities in the paint/wall - let alone unintended uneven pressure by the installer.

Big Squeegee + Air Release = Win

Signed Out

If the vinyl will be air release and have application tape on it maybe I can use an empty 3" cardboard core as a big squeege. Seems once you have hte top 6" laid down, and 4' of backer pulled down, that you could just run the core down the vinyl. Anybody ever try that?

mpn

Our time would not be accurate for you mainly because we had interruptions with passerbys and other trades workers (construction site) that could not be avoided.

Air release with laminate for this job (short term)