• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

big squeegee help!!!!

signwizz

i have the vinyl application one and use it for laminating but have problems on longer runs the backing sticks to the table causing the squeegee to stop and causes bubbles is it something im doing wrong or is the laminating one that much better for laminating
thanks shane

signwizz

in the videos it doesnt really show u them using it for laminate just vinyl or small ones nothing like 36" long lol

Jack Knight1979

I ALWAYS have a 2nd person pulling up the liner in front of me when using the BS. Have them pull straight up and use a 3-5" lead in front of where the laminate is hitting the substrate.

xxtoni

I know I'm gonna get a lot of angry looks from the peeps around here but...just get a laminator. Any laminator at all.

Get a Chinese laminator for a few hundred bucks. Unless it's totally screwed up it should laminate just fine and it will be a lot easier.

The big squeegee is a fantastic tool and applying vinyl with it is really fast but nothing really beats a laminator when applying laminate.

In my experience, and many will probably disagree, even a chinese cold laminator works just fine. A laminator isn't some complex of machinery, it's a few chains and a few rolls. If you can find a cheap one, under a couple hundred bucks that isn't too far away from ya, I'd just go and pick that thing up. It'll save you a lot of time and problems.

Jack Knight1979

Laminators are great for long runs. I've recently just bought a 60" seal and it changed my life. The BS has been our laminator for about six years. It has been used for mounting, and laminating. I still use the BS when laminating or mounting a couple pieces. I find it to be easier than using a laminator. Set up on a laminator can be a PITA in certain instances.

Anything more than three pieces and they're going through the laminator.

xxtoni

Laminators are great for long runs. I've recently just bought a 60" seal and it changed my life. The BS has been our laminator for about six years. It has been used for mounting, and laminating. I still use the BS when laminating or mounting a couple pieces. I find it to be easier than using a laminator. Set up on a laminator can be a PITA in certain instances.

Anything more than three pieces and they're going through the laminator.

For vinyl, sure.

But for laminate ? Laminating anything with a squeegee freaks me out lol.

Chriswagner92

I personally didn't know there were different types of BS's, but we use i would say about the 48" for all laminating. If i can reach the end of the print from the edge of the table i could usually do a decent job. We do have a laminator that when I asked why we don't use it, the other designer says because it gets itself off track and sucks.

TheSnowman

I started using Arlon laminate and never looked back. Long as I'm on a flat surface I can laminate big stuff w/ the Big Squeegee. Anything bigger than a 4X4 I normally sub the print out so that I don't risk it, but I can go up to 4X4 no problem now days.

I started using Arlon laminate and never looked back. Long as I'm on a flat surface I can laminate big stuff w/ the Big Squeegee. Anything bigger than a 4X4 I normally sub the print out so that I don't risk it, but I can go up to 4X4 no problem now days.

This ^^

When we first opened up we used Arlon overlam cast or calendered with the BS.

Spent the first 4 months or so hand laminating. Now we are equipped with a RS laminator, however time to time, I still use my Big Squeegee.