• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee purchase - too many options!

kffernandez

hi all!

i am planning on buying the BS that a lot of you guys have been really positive about. i've seen some of the videos, searched the forum [got dizzy with all the posts] and i've also gone through the BS website.

The thing is, when i went to the BS website to choose which one to buy, i got stumped by all the types of big squeegees [sizes and shapes], along with the different color tapes/felts [?]. the descriptions help a bit. but i'm still not entirely sure what would work for me because most of its applications overlap.

roughly 60% of my work is basically applying vinyl on sintra / foam boards. sizes ranging anywhere from 2'x3' to as big as 4'x8'. another 30% goes to laminating these works, and the last 10% is installing vinyl on flat walls and mall window [glass] murals. no masking, no cut vinyl.

i would really appreciate it if i could get some concrete advice on what would work best for me, including whatever consumables i need to purchase. i'm from asia, and it would be best if i get to buy everything in one go. :clapping:

note: please don't tell me to buy everything. :p i know some of you probably have actually collected most of them over the years. but i'm looking for something, or a few tools, which would generally work for my small-medium scale operation.

thanks in advance!

kelly

Salmoneye

buy more than one. A laminator more than 48" for the laminating and a yard tool more than 24" for the small stuff. Using the big one for small stuff is a bit of a pain by comparison. Great tools, if you are paying to ship to Asia I would get a little assortment.

Edserv

We have a 48" and 36" and it covers most of our needs (you can use the 36" for smaller apps.)

kffernandez

ok. here's what i've figured out so far: i'm going to need a 50" tool for my big panels, and a 38" tool for smaller sizes.

from the videos, the cradle tool seems to be able to do my vertical and horizontal vinyl installs. i would have wanted to get the cradle for both sizes, but since the cradle tool maxes out at 44" [i dunno why] i guess i should just get it for my smaller apps, and get a 50" laminator for my 4'x8' panels.

now, my questions are:
(1) is the "laminator" the only tool which can laminate? or can the cradle tool laminate too?
(2) how about the different edges? there are cotton, white felt and black felt.
(3) why is the cradle tool for windows any different from the normal cradle tool which also does vertical installs?
(4) can the "laminator" do vertical installs as well? it would be great if i had a big squeegee to help me install 4feet width panels for my wall murals. [since the the cradle tool maxes out at 44".

like i said. too many options. :(

kelly

MikesSigns

I bought a few larger ones. Once I was able to really figure what size worked best for me, I was able to cut them down. have everything from 3" - 40" now. "Easier to cut then to add"

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
All tools will laminate!

The Cradle tool for windows has both edges with cotton covering. The regular Cradle tool has felt on one edge. The felt is used to apply masking but it may be undesirable for window applications because of the loose fibers that could get into the edges of the applied vinyl. The cotton is cleaner but not very useful for masking operations. The laminator tool can be used on walls and windows. It is twice as heavy as the cradle tool of the same length.

Shipping is the key issue for sending the tools to the Philippines. Tools over 44" have to be sent by common carrier such as UPS or FedEx. Expect to pay as much as $250 for a small set. Recent shipments cost $261 for 16 lb to Australia and $560 106 lbs to Italy.

Tools under 38" will ship by regular mail. A 6 lb. package will cost about $50 & 15 lb about $100. 44" tools cost about $8 more/ package with express mail. The more you order the more you save on shipping.

The order page for shipping to the Philippines is http://www.bigsqueegee.com/group6.html Shipping will be added at check out for tools under 38". If you order longer tools you will be invoiced for additional shipping costs.

kffernandez

All tools will laminate!

The Cradle tool for windows has both edges with cotton covering. The regular Cradle tool has felt on one edge. The felt is used to apply masking but it may be undesirable for window applications because of the loose fibers that could get into the edges of the applied vinyl. The cotton is cleaner but not very useful for masking operations. The laminator tool can be used on walls and windows. It is twice as heavy as the cradle tool of the same length.

thanks dave! i guess i will end up ordering the 50", 38" and 20" cradle tools for windows, plus extra cotton tape and a felt strip just in case. these would be perfect for me since i don't do any maskings at all. :clapping:

one last question tho. i tried test ordering on the G6 page. and the total came out to be $273.40 USD. this is just my shipping cost, right?

btw, i noticed that your "prices" page for cradle tools maxed out at 44". are the bigger ones out of stock?

thanks again!

kelly

signwizz

what would be useful also is an adjustable one i just applied 4 prints to 40" windows what a pain if there was one with adjustable sides to accomidate say 24"-36" and 36"-54" or whatever would make installs quick and painless.....
just a thought
shane

wes70

what would be useful also is an adjustable one i just applied 4 prints to 40" windows what a pain if there was one with adjustable sides to accomidate say 24"-36" and 36"-54" or whatever would make installs quick and painless.....
just a thought
shane

Buy 2 and fasten together :)