• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bite the bullet

Photolew

I'm a photographer from the middle of PA. Looking to expand my in house options. Recently invested in some sublimation equipment and looking at some other things such as a vinyl cutter.

I've got broad shoulders. So please don't sugarcoat any responses to any dumb questions I might have.

SlightlyChilled

Okay here you go. How about mastering the sublimation equipment first? You have 2 things going for you. You know how to take a good photo now up sell the crap out of it. Plates shirts mugs hats mouse pads... If you branch out to fast you will fall short or run into problems and can't fix them.

JgS

Hello from NM. I just sublimate mugs so I cant give any advice but good luck. Also if you want a cuter I say go for it. Just make sure to get a good one that can handle registration and cut all the way through your prints if you want to cut shapes out of your prints.

nevessa

Hi

Just read your post and thought since I'm a photog also, would pick your brain a little. I also want to "branch out" offering my images on certain items, specifically, mugs and tiles. I was led into purchasing a low end printer and inks, was given a mug press, and haven't had the best of luck with both. I know it takes time and lots of practice, but I feel like I've set myself back a few steps, other than the time and $. What printer have you decided on? Just thought we could exchange ideas and mistakes :)

visual800

I'm a photographer from the middle of PA. Looking to expand my in house options. Recently invested in some sublimation equipment and looking at some other things such as a vinyl cutter.

I've got broad shoulders. So please don't sugarcoat any responses to any dumb questions I might have.

Do not take this the wrong way it is not directed at you, I am speaking in general. We live in an age of easy accessibility to anything we want for cheap. There are tons of companies out there printing on stuff you could sub out to and save yourself the hassle of owning the equipment UNTIl you see fit to do it on your own.

I order lots of digital prints, i dont wanna drop $15k on a printer. I sell electric signs but I dont wanna do any manufacturing of them, I also sub out tshirts and I damn sure dont sure dont wanna go out and get into silkscreen. This is not saying anyone has no gumption to grow and expand it is saying IMO your are smart and using your head. I have absolutely no faith right now in this country for growth in the next 3-5 years due to what we are going thru and what we may be going thru after all this

Might be in best interest to hold off and sub itout and make sure its something worth doing...just my two cents

Photolew

Just read your post and thought since I'm a photog also, would pick your brain a little. I also want to "branch out" offering my images on certain items, specifically, mugs and tiles. I was led into purchasing a low end printer and inks, was given a mug press, and haven't had the best of luck with both. I know it takes time and lots of practice, but I feel like I've set myself back a few steps, other than the time and $. What printer have you decided on? Just thought we could exchange ideas and mistakes :)

Ricoh 7700

Do not take this the wrong way it is not directed at you, I am speaking in general. We live in an age of easy accessibility to anything we want for cheap. There are tons of companies out there printing on stuff you could sub out to and save yourself the hassle of owning the equipment UNTIl you see fit to do it on your own.

I order lots of digital prints, i dont wanna drop $15k on a printer. I sell electric signs but I dont wanna do any manufacturing of them, I also sub out tshirts and I damn sure dont sure dont wanna go out and get into silkscreen. This is not saying anyone has no gumption to grow and expand it is saying IMO your are smart and using your head. I have absolutely no faith right now in this country for growth in the next 3-5 years due to what we are going thru and what we may be going thru after all this

Might be in best interest to hold off and sub itout and make sure its something worth doing...just my two cents

understand completely. Problem with sub out something is time. My current sublimation supplier takes about 10 days from the time I upload an order, they process it, then ship it back. I have the ability to turn my photos in 3 days.....so its to become more competitive from a time stand point is why I am first off looking to do more sublimation stuff in house....and perhaps diversify also into Tshirts. And I am tackling things slowly and one step at a time. I've dropped a whopping $3500 so far on a printer, heat / mug press and some inventory....so not exactly breaking the bank.

Main goal on being here is just to soak up as much experience as I can.....lord knows Im a full time student at the school of hard knocks.....but doesn't mean I can't learn from others..... :D