• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Lettering Advice

tmnee323

Hi all, I think this my first post here so I first of all wanted to say hi. You guys have really helped me learn a lot about stuff on here and I appreciate all the great stuff you guys do. I have learned a lot from this forum and it really helped me when I was starting out. So thanks for that.

Anyway, here is my situation. I originally got my cutter to do tshirts which I am still doing. I always considered doing some sign work, but was slow getting around to it. I have started doing some various work making custom lettering for people and things along that nature, but recently, I have found that I have a pretty good market for doing boat lettering for people. However, this is a fairly new thing for me. The boats would mostly be in the great lakes, but that isn't to say that some of these people wouldn't be in salt water also so I want to prepare for that. I was hoping you guys could let me know what kind of vinyl you would use for the lettering and also if there is anything special that I should know about the process. I really want to do quality work for these people and I am hoping you guys can give me some insight. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide me.

geb

Hello.

When I letter boats I only use cast vinyl. I am also wary of wax on a boat, that will have to be removed from the area your lettering, or the vinyl won't stick. One thing I found when lettering a boat tied to a dock in the water, I accidentally dropped my squeegee and it sank(I figured they would float being plastic), so, bring more than one squeegee when on the water.

George

coyote

If you're standing in a Zodiac while lettering the boat in the water, make sure you have someone holding on to the bow and stern ropes so you don't get stuck under the dock....
C

signage

Welcome to the forums from PA......

If you are doing the installs while the boat is in the water make sure you charge a premium!

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

One more vote for cast vinyl.
Make sure surface is prepped with a wax and grease remover, like everything else:).