• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Box truck wrap help

quicksigns

I'm about to do a box truck wrap and it's just flat except for some big quarter size rivets. I normally use 3m180 on wraps, but the salesman at fellers advise me to use 3m ij35c for about a third of the cost and it's air release, but would it wrap over the rivets without wrinkling like the 180?

ProWraps

its a calendared product and it doenst have removable adhesive. i would recommend against it. use the right media for the job.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
FYI I also sell the IJ35 and I highly reccomend NOT using it as I have had alot of bad response on that product. Try the 3M 3552C if you want to save money.

acothran

I use IJ35C on coroplast signs and other flat, short term type applications. Per 3M, IJ35C is not recommended for vehicle application. I tried a piece on some box truck rivets (just to see) and while it goes on okay, it doesn't "set in" around rivets like IJ180 and I wouldn't want to see if after a couple of months.

If you want to stick with 3M and save a little money, I've heard some on here (Mike at Merritt comes to mind) recommend IJ160 for non-curved surfaces. I don't think the little you save on an expensive calendered/ultra-calendered vinyl is worth it. The IJ180 family of cast is tried and true, so I normally just stick with that.

Allen

quicksigns

Yea, I didn't know it was a calender material until just now. He told me to try it on the box truck and thank god I'd check here first.

acothran

He told me to try it on the box truck

Interesting that a salesman for the "World's Largest Wrap Supplier" would recommend a vinyl to use for a wrap, that the manufacturer doesn't recommend for wraps. I doubt that 3M would stand behind a warranty claim for IJ35C on a box truck. There are air-release, calendared vinyls that are recommended for box trucks and rivets (Oracal 3551RA is one) but IJ35C is not one of them.

Allen

cartoad

We purchased some IJ35 at a good price to try it for our short term items (not vehicles) and not real impressed with it. Seems that most of the times salesmen tell how good a product is, it has not lived up to expectations. Buyer beware.

zapblam

We stopped wasting time worrying about cost of the proper material for the job a long time ago. Just use 180 already and get it done. Or whatever you prefer as a proper wrapping film.