• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a new printer looking for input.

cwtjr81

We are in the market for a new printer and I thought I better get the thoughts of the guys that have them rather than just the sales rep trying to get our money. I currently have a Mutoh Toucan LT and love it. The machine is 8 years old and time is running out on it. I don't want to go any smaller width wise but would consider going bigger. I have been looking at the Mutoh Hybrid 1608 and the Roland VersaUV LEJ Hybrid LED. Does anyone have any experience with either of these machines and are willing to share the pros and cons. We don't do a ton of flatbed stuff but it would be nice to have the option from time to time. We are also maybe considering the OCE Arizona 550xt and expanding into that market. Thoughts on it or anything else in that category would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charlie

MikePro

Go to the ISA show in march and see ALL the new printers in action!
signexpo.org.
dealers offer "show pricing" for attendees and the discount more than pays for your trip!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What applications are you targeting and whats your budget looking like? What type of production speeds are you looking for?

Circleville Signs

I gotta tell you - if i was in the market for a printer right now, I would go latex and be done with it. Mutoh and Roland are going to have to get into that market if they want to compete. The inks are cheaper, more durable, and the printers themselves are more affordable.

Every time I think about this issue, it makes me regret not holding out for another 18 months before buying a printer.....Ugh!

SignManiac

The huge advantage to latex printers that I see as a major benefit are the inexpensive "user replaceable" print heads!

cwtjr81

We don't really have a budget to speak of it is more what makes sense. We print a lot of vinyl that gets mounted to substrate which is why I want to get flatbed capability but also do vehicle graphics and wraps from time to time. I would like the same thing as anyone else something reasonably priced, long life expectancy and low maintenance. I don't want something slower or lower print quality than the Toucan LT so 120-150 sq ft per hour at 720x720.

Thanks
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:

CS-SignSupply-TT

Which application is dominate?

We don't really have a budget to speak of it is more what makes sense. We print a lot of vinyl that gets mounted to substrate which is why I want to get flatbed capability but also do vehicle graphics and wraps from time to time. I would like the same thing as anyone else something reasonably priced, long life expectancy and low maintenance. I don't want something slower or lower print quality than the Toucan LT so 120-150 sq ft per hour at 720x720.

Thanks
Charlie

Do you do more substrates or vehicle wraps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Mimaki Jv33, Epson GS6000, HP Latex or a Roland and you should be happy.

Highly recommend you go to a show before purchasing.

CS-SignSupply-TT

"way more substrates" translates into a flatbed (imho). Consider the labor savings as well as the "out sick" savings. In labor you move from a 4-5 step process to 3 step process.

Freese

"way more substrates" translates into a flatbed (imho). Consider the labor savings as well as the "out sick" savings. In labor you move from a 4-5 step process to 3 step process.

But at what point does your production (doing more substrates) become so high that you should buy a $80K+ printer? (I am seriously asking, I am rather ignorant to the business side of things)

IF way more means more substrates, but still not enough to justify a flatbed purchase, than a Latex or roll to roll would make sense. But at what point is a flatbed a solid choice for that justification? I don't know.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
A Hybrid allows you to do more of both worlds...both rigid and roll stocks. But you need to worry about the footprint for such a machine and the additional cost of the option most times. In addition to the cost of inks, the bulbs can be costly depending on the unit you ultimately purchase. Get the Roll to roll printer....continue to mount to substrates THEN if you decide you have to have a flatbed you make that move once you know the business is there for you...IMO.

Brentacula

I've been searching and I think that a flatbed with a roll option seems like a real hybrid as opposed to what most seem to be - a roll printer rigged to accept rigid substrates. Although, that Roland seems REALLY nice, besides the fact that it can only print on maximum 1/2" substrates... kind of limits expandability.

I'm also in the market and have been hearing about this CET A LOT!

this is what im doing.

Me too! :D

PURVEYOR

I gotta tell you - if i was in the market for a printer right now, I would go latex and be done with it. Mutoh and Roland are going to have to get into that market if they want to compete. The inks are cheaper, more durable, and the printers themselves are more affordable.

Every time I think about this issue, it makes me regret not holding out for another 18 months before buying a printer.....Ugh!

what about the media cost for these machines? I'm assuming you can only print on HP media.... and I would assume coated? wonder if its expensive.