• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying an old AXYZ

bigbrandprint

Hello,

Im currently on the lookout for our first starter CNC router machine.

I've looked at lots of different options including some of the new machines made of pure chineasium at a cheap price.

I don't have a lot of money to spend on the first machine i just want to get learning and churning a few things out.

My gut feeling is to get a used AXYZ. There is currently a 6010 3m x 2m available to me at a very low price.

I wouldn't be risking much so its no big deal but what should i be expecting of a machine complete in use but built in 2003?

Have they stopped supplying spares for them etc etc. What might it do and what wont it do?

Any input would be appreciated.

rossmosh

Generally speaking, the bearings/rails on those types of machines are standard, off the rack parts. As is most of the drive components. So if they wear, you should be able to do a like for like swap or something pretty similar.

The electronics are the biggest issue in the CNC world. It's why you'll see big industrial machines that are generally in good shape get essentially thrown out.

tbullo

Superunknown
Agree with rossmosh. If it has the A2MC controller I would give it a look. If it has the old black box type I would pass. I have 20 years on my black box, and have had it serviced 1 time and a few repairs I've done myself. Still has to run on windows XP computer. The A2MC is the controller they use now but I think it's been out for awhile.

bigbrandprint

Agree with rossmosh. If it has the A2MC controller I would give it a look. If it has the old black box type I would pass. I have 20 years on my black box, and have had it serviced 1 time and a few repairs I've done myself. Still has to run on windows XP computer. The A2MC is the controller they use now but I think it's been out for awhile.

I understand. So the hardware is not much of an issue. Just if its running the old AMC controller and any of this system goes faulty i wont be able to replace as its obsolete. I would then have to upgrade it all to A2MC control or bin it all off.

I take it you are running your old controller/machine still fine (touch wood) but are mentally preparing should it develop an issue. Can i ask would you consider upgrading your old machine to A2MC or are you expecting to look for a newer machine?

Martin Denton

We have a 6010 AXYZ 3m x 2m it uses the AMC controller and we have no issues in any way with it. The upgrade to 2AMC is about £4k Stirling which to me is a nice to have rather than critical, maybe one of these days... The main limit with the AXYZ is spindle speed which will depend on the spindle you have, essentially the faster the speed the better the finish, particularly in acrylic. if you can get up around 24,000 rpm with a new cutter you can often avoid the need to touch it with a flame polisher. Funnily enough, we swapped our old 4008 for the 6010 which we bought from eBay at a bargain price. Very happy with the decision and at the price we paid unlikely to ever lose money on it. AXYZ is a world-wide renowned machine, a far better buy than the new Chinese alternatives although that won't be the case forever...

tbullo

Superunknown
I take it you are running your old controller/machine still fine (touch wood) but are mentally preparing should it develop an issue. Can i ask would you consider upgrading your old machine to A2MC or are you expecting to look for a newer machine?
Yes, old controller and windows xp machine. Our router was to old for the A2MC controller upgrade so I've been just patching it here and there. The last repair I had to do to the box was replace the toroidal transformer. I did have a MultiCam guy come by and talked about their Apex model. So, yes I hope to get a new router this year either new AXYZ or MultiCam.