• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

C Print . Plexi Mounts

Magda

Hi there,

We have been struggling with out mounts, and I'm writing here to get some adice.

We have an Ice Arizona - and ca print direct, but for better quality, we want to mount as well.
Currently when we do - I see a bit of bubbling in the double mount - and we believe it's due to the paper on whcih we print having a slight texture.
We have an Epson SC - and printed on Epson poster paper - also tested Kodak Cristal.

So my question is: what paper do you use to print C Prints.
What double mount do you use?

Why would we see a slight bubble texture when mounting it?
(we're using a laminator).

I'm looking forward to learning how to do it correctly.
I heard that maybe w need to get an inset printer - and it's a possibility (we had one before) but.. wanted to see if our Epson SC can do the job for now.

Lux

A C-Print can not be printed on any of the equipment mentioned. C-print is short for chromogenic print. It is printed on light sensitive paper most likely by a Lightjet, Chromira, Lambda, Polielettronica, or possibly a Kodak or Fuji machine. The paper is then processed in a separate processor that develops the image. Some of the printers have built in processors. C-Prints are also be printed in an analog color darkroom. C-prints can be very difficult to mount, the slightest debris between the print and substrate will leave a bump. A thinning old man's blond hair between the print and substrate will leave a line. The current materials for C-print are Fujiflex, Fuji Crystal Archive, Fuji Deep Matte, Fuji Pearl, Fuji DPII, Kodak Endura, Kodak Metallic and perhaps a few others that are not coming to mind. C-prints have no dot pattern and have a tonal range that generally is free of posterization if your files are set up right and you have good ICC profiles. Generally they are not the best choice for commercial signage but are incredible for rendering photographic images. I work with a mounter that uses a product called Viewbond for facemounts to plexi. He also uses silicon adhesive for a facemount process known as Disec, but can not actually call it Disec this is a trade name. I believe he also uses the Viewbond for mounting to Dibond, aluminum and sintra. I do some mounting of C-prints to sintra using the IP5000 adhesive, it is not easy compared to mounting a heavy rag paper such as the Hahnemuhle or Canson products.
One other note, I was having trouble with slight bubbles with the IP5000. I was running board through the laminator with the IP5000 first, then applying the print. Bubbles were random, I sometimes think this happens if the adhesive is more than a few months old, but I am not sure. I solved the problem by creating decals - that is applying the adhesive to the prints first, then adhering that to the board.

edcooleyar

1. Try mounting on top of a rigid carrier like a piece of acrylic or dibond.
2. Be sure and use extruded acrylic as well. Cast acrylic can have low spots that make bubbles.
3. Like Carl said, a c print is a chemical print, not an inkjet print. I would try smooth gloss paper instead of textured fine art paper. You can also print to transparent film and add a layer of rc paper to the back.

Many people mount inkjet prints so you don’t HAVE to have a chemical print to facemount.