• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Caldera VisualRIP+ Network

Ditchmiester

Is it possible to put the license code on the network and have more than one computer running Caldera V10. I have two printers and two operators that use each one exclusively for different media types. Was wondering When we switch to Macs exclusively will we be able to install it on both workstations so each person can print to their own printer? Right now we have a central Mac Mini that each person has to load files to then setup and rip/print.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I would guess that they might license it like Flexi in that respect. Meaning each workstation requires its own license for the design part. Not sure how Caldera does their licensing though. On Flexi in this scenario you would need 1 full Pro version license which includes the Production Manager (the rip itself and would be on the machine that has the printers connected to it) and one license of Designer (which is the end user desktop interface for adding cut lines, designing, and submitting jobs), then you would purchase and additional Designer license to allow a second workstation to submit jobs at the same time.

That being said, you can still install it on more than one workstation regardless. What will happen is if a second users tries to open Designer theirs will time out with a license not available error. So 2 installs of it at the same time is very possible, just only one person can be in the program at a time.

Again - not sure how Caldera licensing works though but it would probably not hurt to try....

nate

Is it possible to put the license code on the network and have more than one computer running Caldera V10. I have two printers and two operators that use each one exclusively for different media types. Was wondering When we switch to Macs exclusively will we be able to install it on both workstations so each person can print to their own printer? Right now we have a central Mac Mini that each person has to load files to then setup and rip/print.

Sure is. We have 10 people running our Caldera. You simply purchase more Visual Users from Caldera.

dypinc

That is one of the reasons I always liked the Fiery RIPs. Whether EX or XF the RIP is a true server and you can run clients on a any Mac or Windows workstation with all the heavy work and network to printers being done on the RIP server. I had network through-put problems when trying to run Caldera on Mac workstation. I really thought it needed to be run on a clean box and being the only thing it did.

Network Setup for Caldera help (hopefully it's helpful)

That is one of the reasons I always liked the Fiery RIPs. Whether EX or XF the RIP is a true server and you can run clients on a any Mac or Windows workstation with all the heavy work and network to printers being done on the RIP server. I had network through-put problems when trying to run Caldera on Mac workstation. I really thought it needed to be run on a clean box and being the only thing it did.

That all sounds great until you have the biggest production day of your company's career and then the Fiery XF Server goes down and you can't print to ANY of your machines because it all relies on the one RIP station. Then you call the US Support and get told that they are having a busy day and (even though I pay for support) are only offering email support and won't be able to help me for several hours (after I dropped 12K for there software and pay a support contract each month it made it easy to trade in Fiery XF for Onyx and Caldera).

We have Onyx, Caldera, WaSatch, and Colorgate RIPS currently - plan to consolidate down to one or two rips by the end of this year - but it's a long process!

Here is how to set up Caldera for multiple Rip Stations (as long as you have the proper licenses) : License Sharing (remote and local configuration)

You can also set up Caldera as a Master/Slave architecture (like Fiery XF): Master/Slave setup

Hotspur

ONYX Thrive

You should also take a look at ONYX Thrive - One key broadcasts the key permissions across your network.

Then you can load as many copies of Onyx on as many PCs as you need until you run out of permissions - or purchase some more.

For example buy a key that allows, say, 8 rip engines, 6 printers and 2 job editors and you can spread these permissions around as many PCs as you want.

You can then have as many rips as you need in whatever combinations you need and change them around instantly.

In addition you can "print forward" so that some PCs do the ripping and others do the print spooling to spread the load, have mirrored setups so that if one rip / PC goes down you have instant replacements.

To tie it all together you have unlimited "Production Manager" consoles running in any browser on any PC / Mac / iPad which gives you an overview & control of what they are all doing.

As an added extra you get a true Adobe PDF engine in every rip so that PDFs are ripped reliably - but with Thrive you also uniquely get Adobe Normalizer which gives the same reliability on all postscript files - not just PDFs like other rips.

Ans as a bonus if you already have Onyx it will look and operate identically so there's no new learning curve and you can get a free trial from your local dealer.

http://www.onyxgfx.com/products/workflow/onyx-thrive-configuration