• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can anyone identify this material?

Desert_Signs

All I have to go on is the clients claim of what they used last time, but I've never heard of it! He says it was 10"x50" Corrugated Pad .054 Styrene. He has no sample and doesn't remember what it's like, but thinks .020 styrene is about the same. :banghead:

Do any of you have any idea what this material is? The shop who made this stuff for him last year is out of business, so, we're on our own here. This is a fairly large order (54 4'x8' sheets of .020 if that's what we use) so I can't really afford to be wrong when ordering the material.

Desert_Signs

show him samples and go from there?

I showed him .020 poly and he says "yeah, that looks about right." I just didn't get the feel he had any idea what he was talking about, so I called his boss to confirm (because his boss was the guy who actually placed the order). The boss said "I don't remember what the stuff was like, but according to our invoice it was Corrugated pad, .054 styrene". This is a wholesale job, we're producing it for this company, who is delivering it to a nationwide company. I know the guy we're making it for can't afford to be wrong and neither can we. I'd hate to turn the job down, but if I can't figure out the right material, I'm a little worried about producing it. It's about a full day of printing and finishing for 2 guys. If I could just nail down what the material is, I'd be set. :cool1:

Desert_Signs

what about like... 2mm coro? a corrugated pad is cardboard. a plastic corrugated pad would be coroplast. 2mm coro is only 1/16th thick. You can also get Coated Corrugated Pads... maybe give someone like these guys a call... http://www.corrpar.com/products.htm

Could be. I have a sheet of 2mm coro, but I can't imagine that's what it is. I wish I could show who the job is for, and what it is, but I would be astounded if they wanted coroplast. Cardboard on the other hand, maybe. 1.5mm would be about .054 (.059 actually). However, to get 50+ 4'x8' sheets of that by tomorrow? I don't know. Customer needs the job completed by noon on Friday....

MikePro

most likely a coroplast material laminated with poly to eliminate the appearance of flutes on the face?

MikePro

"Bioboard" from PlyVeneer Products has cardboard fill
and
"Print-X" from Primex and "Omni-Flute" from 3A Composites have corrugated plastic fills with a smooth surface.

Desert_Signs

gotta love customers - "I dont know what its made out of but i need it by Friday"

Oh man, don't you know it. We ended up using the .020 poly. Not sure if the ultimate customer was happy (this was a wholesale job), but I was NOT. The guy made a big deal about how he had to have the job by Friday (before the Holiday weekend) no later than 3pm. We were originally going to flatbed the job, then just cut up the poly. Our flatbed exploded Thursday morning. Ink everywhere. Whole other story. So we ended up having to run the job on our latex printer, then lay the vinyl on the poly, then cut it all up. Because of the deadline, I had 1 guy work overnight Thursday to get everything printed (A little over 3 50yd rolls of vinyl) and then the rest of use came in at 3am on Friday morning to start laying the vinyl and cutting them down. I had intended to give the guys a 4 day weekend. We're always dead right before a holiday weekend, so it made sense. Well, say goodbye to the extra day. We finished the job about 2:30, sent everyone home, and I called the customer to let him know to come get them. Didn't answer his phone. 3pm came and went. No customer. I waited until 4:30 and said screw it and went home for the Holiday weekend.

Come back to work Tuesday. Call the guy. No answer. Called multiple times throughout the day, no answer. Guy finally calls me back Wednesday morning and says he's coming by. I ask him WTF??? His response? "Oh it was a holiday weekend, I decided to head out of town and my customer didn't really need the product until this Friday." :frustrated::frustrated:

Freaking customers sometimes...