• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can not output to my Gerber 15in. plotter!

calbanner

I have a gerber sprint console with the LMK module that lets me output from Graphix Advantage to my 15 in sprint plotter. I have been running this combo for years. Recently I aquired a new graphtec. After disconnecting output from computer to gerber console via serial connection, and messing around with settings so that I can output to the graphtec. I went to put it back to output to the gerber plotter and no longer can send any jobs successfully. Any Suggestions. I have chosen GS-15 for my plotter choice, I have had that working all this time....today somebody said i should be using Sprint-15. Either case....nothing works anymore.
Thanks, Peter

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sprint-15 is the correct driver to control your Sprint plotter through an LMK module. GS-15 is intended for the GS-15 plotter which has its own firmware and serial connection. So you should definitely return to the LMK/Sprint-15 setup.

The first question I have is how many serial comm ports does your computer have? One easy mistake to make with the Gerber setup is to select the wrong comm port if you have two or more. At any rate, I would recommend that you disregard the Graphtec for now and focus on returning your setup to where it was and get the Sprint working again.

Once you have done that, hook up your Graphtec to a second comm port. If you only have one, then buy a comm card and install it because you will want to be able to drive the Graphtec separately and presumably run both at the same time on occasion.

Getting the Graphtec to run from Graphix Advantage can be done but it may not be easy. Even with the current Omega software, drivers are only supplied for a few Graphtec models. My recollection of Graphix Advantage is that none were supplied and that you had to use a generic HPGL or other language driver to get it to work.

Hope this helps.

calbanner

Thanks Fred... I think I only have one com port, only one serial 9 pin output anyways. I can cut.... no problem to the graphtec from both Graphics Advantage and Adobe....but can not get communication at all back to my gerber plotter..I have uninstalled both graphtec software and gerber software......reloaded gerber software and still nothin....I know it is something stupid/simple.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In your plotter setup look to see that

• Sprint-15 on Comm Port ? is selected.
  • Look to see if more than one comm port is available. This will show in the Gerber plotter setup. You may have a 25 pin comm port. It looks similar to a printer LPT port but it has a male connector instead of a female connector on the computer. If you have the second comm port, 25 pin to 9 pin adapters are readily available if the Graphtec requires a 9 pin serial cable.
  • Check that the original cable supplied by Gerber to run from your comm port to the LMK card is the cable you are using.
  • When you test plot to either plotter, make sure the one you want is selected in GSPPlot.
  • And, of course, make sure the plotter you are sending to is online.
I think at the heart of your problem is that you have not set your system up to run both plotters ... each through their own comm port. If you can drive the Graphtec from Graphix Advantage, you have solved the hardest part of what you are trying to do.