• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can't Silkscreen, Heat Press, what is this?

Pacific Sign

Hello Everyone,

I'm having trouble with this material. It's similar to leather, but I don't think it is leather.

I need to put a logo on this, it's a wheel chair back rest. I've tried silkscreening, but the un-eveness of the material made it very difficult. I've tried applying a frisket and spraying but that did not turn out well. I've also tried using those heat press graphics that are often used for t-shirts but that ended up burning/melting the material as you can see in the picture below.

I'm running out of idea's, has anyone done this before? any tips for types of ink that i should use? I really do not want to hand paint since I have approx. 150 of these to do.

Thanks in advance your all of your help, suggestions, tips!

Offsite pic replaced. Please observe our rules on photo posting.

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

inthesignbiz

We've done boat seats made from that type of vinyl.

Buy some VINYL paint (you can get it at the hardware store).
Cut it in vinyl, reverse weed, mask and spray.
Let it dry before pealing off the stencil.

Pacific Sign

Thank you for the tip! I really appreciate it.

I did try that method however and with limited success. I'll try doing it again and using vinyl decal material instead of the low tack frisket I used the first time. Let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

showcase 66

I used cut vinyl for the back of 15 wheel chairs. Did them for a kid recovery place. All different sea animals. They worked good for about a year and then finally started to peel and crack in the grooves.

Pacific Sign

Hey CSDD,
Vinyl Cut Decals was a choice but the client refused for that exact reason, the cracking and peeling. I wish they would have gone with that route though, it would have been soo much easier, shucks. haha.

Hello James Burke,
I've never heard of hot foil stamping before, I'll look into that, it sounds interesting. Thank you.

jrsc

I have 4 possible ideas. I'm not sure if they will work:

1. Pad printing would work if it wasn't too big.

2. Depending what it needed to look like you might also be able to laser engrave it since its like a leather material.

3. Try contacting stalhs. They sell heat press material for many special applications and some with low heat requirements for things like this.

4. Flatbed inkjet. Not sure if you would need solvent or uv