• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Canva Files Won't Open In Corel

TinFoilHat

Signs of The Times
Has anyone had problems with Canava Files not opening in Corel? I imported the vector PDF file, and it says the file is Corrupted. Did both standard and print exports from Canva.
File works in photoshop and Adobe but I like using Corel more. I have Corel 2021 64bits.
I assume it might be Canva trying to export the text intact and causing problems. Is there any way to export a vector pdf file in Canva with text converted to curves?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I hate Canva, even when a wannabe-designer using it can manage to generate a PDF that's halfway useable. Canva is the "hold my beer" graphic design program.

If you have access to Adobe Illustrator I would suggest using that. CorelDRAW just isn't all that good at opening PDF files, even when the PDF files are created by Adobe Illustrator or even CorelDRAW for that matter. Not only do I prefer using Illustrator to open PDF files, I pay the extra yearly subscription for Astute Graphics' plugins so I can use Vector First Aid to repair the usual litany of problems that get baked into PDF files. The amount of time saved on artwork repair makes the plugin worth it.

Last edited:

TinFoilHat

Signs of The Times
I hate Canva, even when a wannabe-designer using it can manage to generate a PDF that's halfway useable. Canva is the "hold my beer" graphic design program.

If you have access to Adobe Illustrator I would suggest using that. CorelDRAW just isn't all that good at opening PDF files, even when the PDF files are created by Adobe Illustrator or even CorelDRAW for that matter. Not only do I prefer using Illustrator to open PDF files, I pay the extra yearly subscription for Astute Graphics' plugins so I can use Vector First Aid to repair the usual litany of problems that get baked into PDF files. The amount of time saved on artwork repair makes the plugin worth it.
Yeah, when I hear I have a print-ready file..... sends canva link..... I am like, actually let me re-work the estimate lol

I will have to look into it for sure! I am just more well versed on Canva, while I only know the bare minimum actions in other platforms.... I need to get on some YouTube and get some practice going.

TinFoilHat

Signs of The Times
So I figured it out from a support agent.... I guess it is Canva exporting the text fonts intact that is messing it up. Solution below.

"Open the concerned PDF file on a PDF viewer or open it to your internet browser.

Go to File > Print and use the Microsoft Print to PDF.

This will re-save the PDF file to another copy.

Once saved or exported, please open it back to CorelDRAW."

I guess the export from the PDV viewer makes the fonts to curves

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The PDF import filter in CorelDRAW has an option to convert live text in the document to curves. But the import filter doesn't provide as much control as placing the PDF into an Adobe Illustrator document and then using the Flatten Transparency dialog box options.

I've had to walk customers through the process of exporting their Canva document as a "PDF for Print" file on numerous occasions. Even when they can manage those steps I cringe at what I'm going to likely see when opening the PDF file they emailed or Drop-boxed to me. Canva provides many ways how to bake problems into artwork. When the client doesn't even understand the difference between pixel-based artwork and vector-based artwork there is a good chance their DIY PDF file is going to dig you into a time vampire hole.

TinFoilHat

Signs of The Times
The PDF import filter in CorelDRAW has an option to convert live text in the document to curves. But the import filter doesn't provide as much control as placing the PDF into an Adobe Illustrator document and then using the Flatten Transparency dialog box options.

I've had to walk customers through the process of exporting their Canva document as a "PDF for Print" file on numerous occasions. Even when they can manage those steps I cringe at what I'm going to likely see when opening the PDF file they emailed or Drop-boxed to me. Canva provides many ways how to bake problems into artwork.
I have tried that with Corel. Instead of importing files with text, I select convert to curves, and it still gives me a corrupt dialog box(only with Canva), so only the option I posted above works for me. Maybe I need to update my Corel version?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
IIRC the 2021 release of CorelDRAW was pretty buggy. The 2022 version was a good improvement; the 2023 and 2024 versions have been very underwhelming in terms of new features and/or improvements, especially when figuring in the cost of the upgrades.

Hunter74

Spare Parts
When opening Canva files you will almost always get a corrupt or missing font dialogue. They don't use licensed fonts meant for distribution. So even if you were to drop a pdf into AI or indesign without having to edit it, your rips won't be able to handle it on output. When I was doing prepress we'd get this all of the time. Looks great on the screen then print jiberish at the indigo, fuji, or caldera rips. Sample fonts won't convert to curves correctly. With Corel or Flexi I won't import, I'll just open them. I'll use text first to see what fonts I'm dealing with and hope I have them in my foundry.

rialine

Has anyone had problems with Canava Files not opening in Corel? I imported the vector PDF file, and it says the file is Corrupted. Did both standard and print exports from Canva.
File works in photoshop and Adobe but I like using Corel more. I have Corel 2021 64bits.
I assume it might be Canva trying to export the text intact and causing problems. Is there any way to export a vector pdf file in Canva with text converted to curves?
So I have a PostNet and clients sent me their own artwork all the time for labels signage etc.. most of it from Canva. same problem, 2 ways around it. You can either open the PDF and go to print, then in stead of sending it it to a printer, print to PDF, rename it and save on your computer. then when you import it to Corel, import text as curves. Sometimes it comes in correct, sometimes the layers just go wrong, but thats not to hard to fix. The other way is to upload to a 'combine pdf' website, there are many free ones, then download it again, and rename it again. this doesnt always work though, the text goes all over the placed, but corel will at least tell you the font names, so you can then try and fix it that way. if its really small labels, I usually ask the clients to save them in high resolution jpg in stead of pdf

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The problem with the JPEG approach is client often want further editing to be done to the artwork. Extracting vectors from a PDF is going to be a lot faster than having to re-create vectors using a JPEG image as a guide. I'm not a fan of auto-tracing filters. They're only ever good for quick and dirty (and cheap) projects.

myront

Dammit, make it faster!!
Same stuff here. Luckily I have both illustrator and Acrobat Pro. Usually illustrator won't work if fonts are missing. I can open in Acrobat Pro and use "Flattener Preview", there I can "Convert All Text to Outlines", apply & save with a different name, then import to Corel.

manlyon

I did have the same problem with draw 2019 and PDF from Canva. Using a print to pdf software (pdf creator in my case) fix the problem. So I open the canva PDF, print to pdf and open the new PDF (printed) in draw.
Boring but it works.

HLC

Since I have updated mt Corel draw to current version, 2024, I have not had any problems. Lots of corrupt files before that.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The problem with Canva is when you're having to mess with "art" created in that applications you're at the mercy of the choices made by the "designer" using the app. Next to none of those amateurs understand the differences between pixels and vectors (and they're not interested in knowing either). Whatever kind of PDF can be made from their precious creation will be a mystery meat art file for you to handle.

WildWestDesigns

The problem with Canva is when you're having to mess with "art" created in that applications you're at the mercy of the choices made by the "designer" using the app. Next to none of those amateurs understand the differences between pixels and vectors (and they're not interested in knowing either). Whatever kind of PDF can be made from their precious creation will be a mystery meat art file for you to handle.
Well to be honest, this happens with people that use "professional" software as well.

richsweeney

Why can't you just send the canva pdf to print? Why use CorHell at all? I am taking Canva files straight into Onyx with no issues.
As a side note, if you take a vector file and open it up in AI6, not the cloud version and save it as a .svg file. It seems to up load back to canva and retain the vector attributes.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WildWestDesigns said:
Well to be honest, this happens with people that use "professional" software as well.

It does not happen anywhere nearly as often as it does with Canva-generated art. Most people who are using Canva are using the free version of it. The no-cost price combined with the strange popularity of the "application" translates to a lot of people with zero clue at all of what they're doing attempting graphic design tasks.

With a paid, commercial application such as Illustrator or CorelDRAW the cost of the app works as a barrier to the rank amateurs who just don't even want to know the difference between pixels and vectors.

richsweeny said:
Why can't you just send the canva pdf to print? Why use CorHell at all? I am taking Canva files straight into Onyx with no issues.

"No issues" is a very subjective call on Canva-generated "art." Some people don't mind coarsely rasterized graphics where the pixel grid and all kinds of lossy compression artifacts are clearly visible. Good enough to get by is the policy for art quality at too many sign companies, ad agencies, etc. Our quality standards are slipping very badly.

It's possible for someone to create pro-level artwork within Canva, using the limited tool set available. In order to do so it would require someone with quite a bit of professional knowledge to make it happen. The overwhelming majority of "graphic designers" these days are entirely self taught. They develop a habit of making bad choices in design and production because they don't know any better. Worse yet, some of these Canva users have had the tasks dumped in their laps by some boss in the office.

In the past 30 years the graphic design profession has ceased to be any kind of profession at all. With the direction of where things are headed, this kind of work is going to be on the level of flipping hamburger patties, if it isn't there already. Canva is just another clue that this field of work is turning into worthless $#!T.