• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car audio installer looking to add a new trade.

Jackkkkkkky

I am an car audio installer looking to Add vehicle color change wraps to my services. I have wrapped only a few interior panels with 3m 1080 vinyl and have wrapped many panels and enclosures with vinyl fabric (although that is quite different). I drive an 02 Silverado I am planning to do a full matte red color change soon and a few friends want their roofs done so I'll be getting some practice. Just here to research what installers have to say about different products and hopefully learn some good stuff that will help me along the way.

Logoadv

Step 1 for me would be to market this service and hire an experienced installer to actually handle the installs. It should be pretty easy to find a 3M certified installer unless you live in the middle of nowhere, and then you might not have the client base to make it a viable service anyway. You might 'help' them with the install and get a feel for what needs to be done and eventually want to try one yourself. Ideally, you are going to need a couple extra helpers around when doing large pieces. Watch any good install videos and you will see at least 2 people, and sometimes 3 or more depending on the size of the shop and if people are working on more than one panel at a time.

I've been working in the sign industry for about 8 year, and I've done a number of wraps, but never a straight color swap. People ask about it all the time thinking it is a cheap alternative to painting their beat up 1980s pickup with failing paint, then when I show them an estimate they run and get a $200 drive-thru paint job.