• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CGSB Reflective Standards

CentralSigns

I'm quoting a small job that requires that I use vinyl that meets the Canadian General Standards Board Level 2 standards for reflective vinyl. The job says I must use retroreflective lens sheeting conforming to CGSB standards for Level 2 Reflectance and must have a pressure sensitive adhesive. The job requires putting a logo on this sheeting. Avery shows only inks associated with screen printing. Can this material be printed with a Roland VersaCaMM and meet the standards. Any help with this would be appreciated, as my supplier is unsure of the standards and the BC Ministry of Highways contact is just as confused as the supplier. Its for a food establishment tourism sign, in BC Highways tourism program.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not too up on Canadian laws or rules, but I would imagine that if you are to screen print it, then that's what you should do.

Reasoning is this..... no matter what reflective or any media you print on.... it's only going to last two or three years or with lamination maybe a little longer. We've found the reflectives [printing on them] don't seem to last as long as other medias.

However, the right screen printing ink will last up top ten years or better.... according to the colors.

We're doing quite a few aluminum reflective signs for two customers as we speak. We're screen printing a job for 150 pieces to make sure of durability... that's why they use us. We do it in-house and no one around here can compete with the price and still offer 10 year signs. The other customer is getting 25 of one layout and 50 of another. These we are flatbed printing due to this customer shops price only.

CentralSigns

Thanks Gino. I'll probably have to let this one go, as I don't screen printing, and who I use for that, wouldn't be interested in the work, for just 2 sign faces.