• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chalking Sign

BMurphy688

Hey all,

A Neighbor has signs on his building that were painted 15 years ago or more... The aluminum is now chalking, and he would like to have a face lift. I was hoping I could just paint over the old sign... How will the chalking effect, if any, the outcome...?

I hoping not to prime... Is there an additive for the paint? What supplier to you use for your paint?

Thanks,

Murph

Craig Sjoquist

a few questions
aluminum chuaking (turning white and flakey dusty like)
or paint is faded and chaulking

if aluminum is decaying ya need to clean with aluminum cleaner then prime areas paint

if paint chauking ...a good washing and repaint

S

Sign-Man Signs

Thats why we use Rust-O'leum. Never chaulks. I say you're in for a re-paint.

Jillbeans

I just had good success with scrubbing a 30 year old metal sign.
I used Dawn dish soap, hot water, and a sponge mop to reach it.
I scrubbed the heck out of it then rinsed it.
You wouldn't believe the chalking that came off of it.
Then I repainted with Ronan.
I think if it's just the paint chalking (as in my case) you will be just fine.
Love.....Jill

OldPaint

i think the guy got HIS MONIES WORTH......out that sign 15 YEARS?????
now you can either GIVE HIM ANOTHER 15 YEARS.......with your work, or just a couple.
i would just by NEW ALUM SHEETS.......the new one is POWDER COATED, which i belive will even outlast the 15 years.............ANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD..... its less work the cleaning, priming, repainting existing sheets..........ANNNNNNNDDDDDD..........if you dont do the prep work right, it might start to peel within a couple years!!!!!!!!!
show the owner of the sign..........WHY NEW METAL WOULD COST HIM LESS.............

DonnyD

I would not recommend using a latex primer to prime the aluminum this could provide undesired results as the "chalking" you are referring to is the oxidation from the aluminum. Just about every latex paint and primer contains ammonia, which when mixed with the oxidized aluminum produces a gas that will cause bubbles underneath the paint and lead to premature paint failure. I would use an oil based metal primer. This will create a barrier between the oxidization and the paint. To finish I would use a high quality 100% acrylic exterior house paint. Be sure to wash some of the oxidation off before priming with some soap and water. But this seems like a lot of work for a 15 year old sign. I would probably end up going the route Billct2 suggested and reface it with new aluminum.

dfeicke

You didn't say if the aluminum signs were originally the baked enamel blanks we use, or if they were bare aluminum, painted white.
If you're going to repaint, I'd use an oil-based primer that's made for aluminum. Then use an industrial enamel for the background.

If washing with a strong cleanser brings most of the paint off, you may be best to use new sheets.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would either do overlays or replace with new panels. It has to cost less then going to all the trouble of cleaning, priming and then top coating an old panel.

However, if the customer insists.... keep in mind that it is difficult to completely remove all the chalk from aluminum. If after two tries of hand-scrubbing or power washing there is still chalk on the surface, simply use a primer before repainting the aluminum. The primer should be 100 percent acrylic and specifically manufactured for outdoor painting. This primer will cover up the chalk and allow the new paint to bond with the aluminum. Without the primer, the paint will not bond, causing it to look blotchy and uneven.

If you have a medium aluminum oxidation removal problem, you might still be able to succeed with an acid-free consumer aluminum oxidation removal product and simple elbow grease -- but prepare for a lot of work. Use the product at the highest strength recommended on the container. You will certainly want to use a power buffer if one is available to you. If the consumer aluminum oxidation removal product does not work on your medium aluminum oxidation removal problem, you'll need to take things to the next level.

Believe me, if the aluminum is this bad.... start over with new material..... or walk away from this customer.............