• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Chalky Box Truck

Doot

Hey guys,
We have been approached to letter a Ford E-350 box truck. They brought the truck in and it looked fine at first, but knowing that nothing is ever as it seems, I ran my hand along the side. Needless to say my fingers were subsequently coated with a fine white chalk which I have become accustomed to seeing on these box trucks.
I have lettered these before and had mixed results. Sometimes all that the tuck needs is a good washing and you can get the vinyl to adhere properly but that is not the case this time. I have washed the whole truck (billable time) and once it dries it is still chalky, not as bad but I am not going to wash this truck again only to have it still be chalky.
Anyone ever deal with this or have any advice as to how to restore the finish short of stripping and repainting? I am sure buffing and waxing it would solve the chalk problem but that wouldn't help me get the vinyl to adhere.
Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
-Rob

Mosh

Have them take it to a truck wash for semi trucks. They use a mild acid to remove the chaulky stuff. We do this with semi trailers.

Doot

Can you buy the acid wash at a hardware store or something? Do you happen to know exactly what they are using?

elsignshop

i had this one time and washed it once then it was still chaulky, then i washed it with purple power and worked out fine

Mosh

I know the stuff they use if not used properly will take the finish right off the
side...leave it to people who do it for a living and you can stick to lettering!

dman0427

We use the Purple degreaser too.
You have to be careful tho' or, as stated, you can wash the white completely off (ask me how I know :Oops:).

We'll usually spray full strength directly on the dry surface of the truck in sections (like two or three rows worth of rivets)
Scrub with a car was brush, and rinse with water.

Takes the chalk right off, but you have to be careful.

Si Allen

Next time ... tell the customer to bring it in CLEAN ... or you will add cleaning cost to the price.

Explain that if the truck is dirty, waxed, or oxidized, paint and vinyl will not stick to it properly.

The above advice will save you lots of headaches!

elsignshop

oh yea forgot to mention water down the purple power a little might take paint off a little, if used full strength, but should do the job. like si allen said tell them to bring there truck clean next time.

OldPaint

i tell people with vehicles............my job is PUTTING LETTERING ON THE TRUCK.
now if i got to wash your truck, i charge the same as if i was doing the lettering. and it will BE ADDED TO BILL.

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees with Si Allen and OP .. also purple soap it works but you need to be careful ...it WILL take paint off ... so clean with purple then water sections at a time.

W

wetgravy

if you're only spot applying graphics ... one thing I've done before is to use denatured alcohol to clean the areas ... oh and a ton of those red shop rags ... it will take the oxidation off like no ones business.