• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

chamber of commerce

wildside

We have been a chamber of commerce member for over 5 years now.

We have never really liked the chamber, basically all i feel is i pay to put my name on a list of people to call if they are trying to solicit money or something.

now, about 4 months ago the owner of an electronics store, dropped his franchise corporate company name and franchisee status and went local. He asked me about removing the sign and putting new, he wouldn't tell me what size, what he wanted on it, how many colors, just "give me a price".

Based off what was there, i ball parked $400-500 for just a face replacement into the existing little cabinet, no other info to go off of.

yesterday i noticed the new sign face is put in with all its glory of brush script and all!!

now back to the chamber of commerce, this guy is the local area chamber of commerce presidents husband!!! it was done by a non chamber member. i know his defense will be but you were too high priced, but i wasn;t given any details to price anything properly. This town is huge on "shop local" support local.......:frustrated:

am i wrong in wanting to piss and moan about it and drop the chamber like 3rd period french?

James Chrimes

I think all you can ask for from Chambers is leads and a chance to bid on work. There is nothing that says chamber of commerace members have to uses other chamber members, but it is nice when they do or at least come talk to you when they have a project. And when they do it is up to us as sales people to secure that job and get them to leave the deposit with us befor leaving. Not always easy, but if it were every chamber member would be in this business. Get them next time :)

Jillbeans

I was in our CofC for about 3 years (was the secretary in fact) never got a single job, just lots of tire kicking.
If it's really bugging you, at the next meeting, if this person is attending, tell them you saw their new sign and flat out ask them why they didn't get it from you.

Usually, at these things, it's the same as any social event where someone knows you are the sign guy.
It occurs to them that they may need that sign they've been thinking about for the last 25 years, and they put you on the spot wanting a price etc.
(it's the same with my brother who is a lawyer, my sister the notary, and my sister who used to be a dental assistant...people would actually show her their teeth)

It's best to get their business card then actually stop in on their site if you think they're a buyer.
Which they more than likely aren't but it can't hurt.
Seeing you at their location gives them a little bump to show you just what the f*ck they are talking about so you can give them an accurate quote.
Love....Jill

wildside

i know being a chamber member is no obligation to get the work. But his wife (the chamber president) is in the public eye criticizing business and people for shopping out of town, standing up at the podem bragging about how the city is vibrant and growing and how local dollars staying here are improving the community, and they in their own business they go out of town

i actually just got off the phone with the code enforcement guy, and they didn't pull a permit and he has no record of who might have installed the lovely piece, he is going to look into it.......you have to be licensed and insured to do work in this town

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Most of the chamber activity I've ever seen is nothing more than infighting among the members. I've got better things to do with my time...and money.

Some chambers are nothing more than a "good 'ol boys (or girls) club".

iSign

am i wrong in wanting to piss and moan about it and drop the chamber like 3rd period french?

yep!

I'm human too... and have the same feelings at times... but yeah, it's wrong to feed those thoughts...

drop them for a real reason if there is one... that ain't one...

Mosh

I have been a member of ours for 20+ years. The ONLY way I am in is that I print the
membership decals, somehow it always costs them exactly what the membership dues are for that year. If this ever changes no way I would be in it. Lots of asking for donations is all it amounts to.

were in the coc and my wife is on a few commitees there. agree about the inhouse fighting on some of the commitees(my wife doesn't attend those for that very reason!) we get some buisness out of them and so far have had good relationships with them. we do also volunteer our time for variuos chamber activities and our town is also one of those, "try and keep business local".
unfortuantly, just because your a memeber and pay your dues each year means nothing to those in town looking for signage. its like everything else, they want the cheapest sign they can get and it doesn't matter if they are members of the coc or not.

mark galoob

when the recession hit hard here, i dropped them as i did all my other memberships to professional organizations. that was 2 yrs ago and it doesnt bother me at all.
the members still come to me to donate stuff, and i still donate stuff to them for various projects. its odd, they accept my donations, but the chamber really doesnt do any business with me, and they really havent done that much, and when they did it was so discounted it was not worth my while...

mark galoob

binki

the right way to handle this is to go to a board meeting and ask why the president does not use chamber members for work. shame is very powerful.

PromoGuyTy

Proud Chamber member here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get tons of business from the connections I make via chamber events.

Pays for my membership MANY times over.

You have to actually get involved (committee work, etc) and want to help others.

And it doesn't hurt to be extroverted and polish up your networking skills.

To be fair, it does depend upon how active your local Chamber is...

They range from pretty awesome...to not so much...

CentralSigns

Proud Chamber member here. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I get tons of business from the connections I make via chamber events.

Pays for my membership MANY times over.

Same here, and usually they give me the work to pay their fees every year around fees time. They send tons of work my way, best investment ever made. I don't even go to meetings or networking mixers. Like anything you can't take it personal. Customers are like that and no one says that a member must shop from a member. That sounds like some other cults that are out there, so I'm told. Might be better joining one of them, if thats how you want to do business, as long as they don't have a sign guy, they say that they can only have one of each trade. I'd personally just blow it off and don't blame the chamber.

cartoad

We have been a COC member for 6 years now, and the only business directly from them was last year when I went in told them I was going to drop them as we had not even got a chance to bid on all the banners, posters, and small signs they do every year. Promised me changes would be made, yep. Got one small job and that was it. Not even a single chance to bid on any of their work. My plaque was from a trophy company over 100 miles away, because they got a better deal, so much for doing business with chamber members by the chamber!

It all boils down to the individual chambers, some are very good for the small business, some like ours and yours are more interested in bigger fish. If you have the time get active in it, I know in our case that would help. We keep business cards on the table at the chamber and that has brought a little business in.

Air Art Girl

Bold

Italic

Underline

Insert Link

Insert Image

Wrap
tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Options
Show your signature
Quote message in reply?
Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

For me it has been great networking and resulted in a lot of work.

As far as your chamber pres. not using a local business when she preaches it, shame on her. You might want to let her know that you are aware they went outside your group but also that you were not given the proper information to properly quote the As far as your chamber pres. not using a local business when she preaches it, shame on her. You might want to let her know that you are aware they went outside your group but also that you were not given the proper information to properly quote