• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changeable Translucent Alternatives to 3M IJ63-20?

OkPrinter

Hi all, we have a client requesting IJ63-20 for an interior backlit sign. The problem I am running into is apparently IJ63 has been discontinued and none of my suppliers (in Canada) have any more stock.

The changeable pressure-sensitive adhesive is the main reason for the spec, as otherwise we would use our standard backlit film, Avery MPI 2050. Every 3M, Arlon, and Avery alternative I have found all have permanent adhesive.
I am considering using 3M 40C-114R (clear) but I've only done minor testing with it and never tried on a large backlit sign face. Some extra info, my printer is an XR-640 with solvent ink.

Any suggestions? TIA

(Just realized I double posted, apologies! I got a server error popup on my first post)

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
For a removable clear, I've been seeing folks use some sort of cling material. Never tried it myself.

Browner

I would suggest checking with some distributors in the ‘States. It’s been my experience that the resellers up here often tell me things have been discontinued - only to find that they’re readily available from just about any distributor South of the border.

I’m chalking it up to the laziness of 3M Canada. Can’t really think of any other reason. To make matters worse, 3M seems to have clamped down on the US resellers selling into Canada. To get around that, all you’ve got to do is find a US shipping address/freight forwarder - which is a bit of a pain, but you can at least continue to use/sell the same products you’ve been to supplying to customers for (in some cases ) decades.

Browner

… have you tried Grimco? Just had a look and their site says it would ship on September 4th (estimated).

OkPrinter

I'm not seeing IJ63-20 on Grimco Canada or US, only 3M IJ3630 which we have access to but has a permanent adhesive. Fellers has a product page but no purchasing options, and the page is not indexed in their site search. Might just have to deal with the removal of a permanent adhesive, or roll the dice on 40C-114R.

ikarasu

You first job isn't translucent I hope.... Translucent printing is a different beast than printing regularly.

Whiue IJ3630-20 is technically a permanent product... we use it all the time as a removable. We print dozens of small map pieces on acyrlic with it that get changed out everytime a store changes - IJ3630-20 removes clean without any glue or heat needed even after 2 years.... All the other translucents we tried leaves behind so much glue. Thats small 6" x 6" Pieces though... How big is the piece you plan on doing?