• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Changing my mind about SQUARE

fresh

So I've been very happy with Square for various reasons, but I'm not going to be using them anymore. In February, I got notice of my first-ever chargeback. A customer had come in, left a deposit for some small truck lettering ($200 deposit), we sent a layout and did revisions, and then he put the project on hold. This guy was a storm chaser, swooped into town weeks after Superstorm Sandy hit us, and then after being here for month decided it wasn't worth his effort and left. The reason he had us wait was because he wasn't sure if he was going to be working for someone else or be an independent contractor.

Anyway, we have on all of our documents "DEPOSITS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE" etc, etc, etc. We forwarded all the info, including our invoice, proof form, and emails, and guess what. They decided to refund the customer anyway. Not only that, they did not send me any official notification of their findings.

This wasn't a large amount, but its enough to rethink my relationship SquareUP. If you do a search, you will find thousands of people who have had large amounts of money held by Square. I've been lucky so far, but I can't afford to loose a large sum due to poor business practices.

Sooooo, who actually likes their merchant processor?

JgS

Can't say I like all the fees FirstData charges but at least they make sure I get paid.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't use their mobile service but I've had an excellent relationship and vendor backup with PayPal for many years now. Here's a link to their mobile card swiper offering.

ProWraps

square is not to blame.

the customer called his credit card company an initiated a chargeback.

he is their customer so they obliged.

the cc company then went to the merchant processor and completed the chargeback.

you signed an agreement that this was a posibility.

this is SOP in all merchant gateways and processors.

if you think any other one has a different policy, you are wrong. and im not a square customer.

jrsc

prowraps is correct. square just passed on the chargeback from your customers bank. I don't use them either. I use payjunction and have been happy with them. payjunction.com. Pricing is fair, customer service is good, and the included software is very user friendly and full of features. Also no contracts.

ProWraps

i use intuit merchant gateway.

and if your client requested a chargeback, my processor would have done the same thing. they have to.

btw, i love intuit because there is no monthly or statement fee. you use it, you get charged. great rates too.

cc processors are all a scam. you just have to be an educated customer and know what you can get.

i had a chain of retail stores in a different life. so i know ALL ABOUT what is fair and what is bullshizzle.

fresh

square is not to blame.

the customer called his credit card company an initiated a chargeback.

he is their customer so they obliged.

the cc company then went to the merchant processor and completed the chargeback.

you signed an agreement that this was a posibility.

this is SOP in all merchant gateways and processors.

if you think any other one has a different policy, you are wrong. and im not a square customer.

It has less to do with the fact that they screwed me over for the money and more to do with the fact that they will not provide me with any official notices stating why they decided in the customer's favor. They have no phone support, and it took me inquiring on the status 5 times before they responded with the findings. I have a short email saying "After reviewing your case, the issuer decided to rule in the customer’s favor. This means that the funds that were deferred can no longer stay in your account." and that is that. I'm sorry, but when you steal $200 of my money, I expect more than a brief email without a signature or other way of getting in touch.

Call me cynical, but I'm not taking their word for it. Can you imagine if I sent you an email like that? Oh, you contracted to do business with me, but I'm just going to keep some of your money, because, well, because I say so. There has to be an official report, and I would like a copy of it.

bikecomedy

So being we use Square and have had a few problems but not this one you got me to read their contract again. Finding this paragraph
[h=4]50. Disputes.[/h] If a dispute of any kind arises, we want to understand and address your concerns quickly and to your satisfaction. Please contact the Square Help Center with any dispute. If we cannot resolve your concerns, we agree to an informal and inexpensive dispute resolution process requiring individual arbitration. “Disputes” between you and Square (“Square” includes its processors, suppliers or licensors (or their respective affiliates, agents, directors or employees)) are defined for the purposes of this Agreement to include any claim, controversy, or dispute (whether involving contract, tort, equitable, statutory, or any other legal theory) between you and Square including but not limited to any claims relating in any way to this Agreement (including its breach, termination, or interpretation), any other aspect of our relationship, Square advertising, and any use of Square software or services. “Disputes” also include any claims that arose before this Agreement and that may arise after termination of this Agreement.

Wondered did you use this service? If so, can you tell us what your experience was. If not, might you?

Would love to learn all I can from your experience.

Also am sorry you are having to go through this. Never any fun to learn these kinds of lessons.

fresh

So being we use Square and have had a few problems but not this one you got me to read their contract again. Finding this paragraph
50. Disputes.

If a dispute of any kind arises, we want to understand and address your concerns quickly and to your satisfaction. Please contact the Square Help Center with any dispute. If we cannot resolve your concerns, we agree to an informal and inexpensive dispute resolution process requiring individual arbitration. “Disputes” between you and Square (“Square” includes its processors, suppliers or licensors (or their respective affiliates, agents, directors or employees)) are defined for the purposes of this Agreement to include any claim, controversy, or dispute (whether involving contract, tort, equitable, statutory, or any other legal theory) between you and Square including but not limited to any claims relating in any way to this Agreement (including its breach, termination, or interpretation), any other aspect of our relationship, Square advertising, and any use of Square software or services. “Disputes” also include any claims that arose before this Agreement and that may arise after termination of this Agreement.

Wondered did you use this service? If so, can you tell us what your experience was. If not, might you?

Would love to learn all I can from your experience.

Also am sorry you are having to go through this. Never any fun to learn these kinds of lessons.

I think the biggest issue with square is they have no human beings. Literally. There is no phone support, no address provided. You have to email them through their website, they don't even have a easily available email address to send things to. I just sent another help request stating I want to dispute their findings. I'll keep you up to date.

And again, I'm annoyed that whoever got the money back (wtf good is a contract if the credit card companies don't honor it,) but so be it. It worries me more if this was a larger transaction, I would have the same terrible customer support. I like good customer support!

lexsigns

I just had my first chargeback in 20 years and with square- It is all principal here . I dont hold square responsible, its all client here

I have a signed contract from client- its a long story but basically the client cancelled job (month ago ) a custom logo because I would not come the day she wanted me there. I tried reasoning with client etc...
So far sounds like Square is going to bat for me and will fight the dispute. Ill let you know how it all turns out. If I don't get my money back I will be taking the client to court. I am seriously reconsidering taking CC depending on how this all works out. The added paperwork and lack of trust from clients needed to take them may not be worth getting paid so quickly... let me know how your dispute turns out. and good luck

lexsigns

I think the biggest issue with square is they have no human beings. Literally. There is no phone support, no address provided. You have to email them through their website, they don't even have a easily available email address to send things to. I just sent another help request stating I want to dispute their findings. I'll keep you up to date.

And again, I'm annoyed that whoever got the money back (wtf good is a contract if the credit card companies don't honor it,) but so be it. It worries me more if this was a larger transaction, I would have the same terrible customer support. I like good customer support!

have to agree with you on the no one to contact and why do we have contracts?? A judge would absolutely honor one- yup may not take them at all anymore, paypal may need a second look

fresh

have to agree with you on the no one to contact and why do we have contracts?? A judge would absolutely honor one- yup may not take them at all anymore, paypal may need a second look

Good luck, I hope this wasn't a large amount of money, and I hope that it only cost you time. AND I hope you have a better outcome than I did.

lexsigns

Good luck, I hope this wasn't a large amount of money, and I hope that it only cost you time. AND I hope you have a better outcome than I did.
Thanks!
560 total- about 200 in materials rest labor but on principal that you cannot cancel a job because I wont go when TOLD to... I am self employed for a reason- lol.. I hope it works out and I don't need to go to court on top of the hassle its already been but there I am sure to win and put it behind. The woman was an absolute you know what! and completely unreasonable ( and i have all the supporting emails to prove it!)

just aggravated thanks for letting me vent

Robert M

here is how it works

If you have a return policy the customer must sign off on it. The credit card company needs you to prove to them that the customer was aware that the sale, deposit, etc was not refundable. put an x____________________ under your return policy and make the customer sign it. (they need to sign right by the return policy, you could even stay something like "by signing here I agree with XYZ,s return policy" that should work for all credit card companies.
For phone orders get an email from the customer saying he is aware the sale is non refundable, even though we the merchant are the cc companies source of revenue, we are guilty until proven innocent in their eyes

lexsigns

If you have a return policy the customer must sign off on it. The credit card company needs you to prove to them that the customer was aware that the sale, deposit, etc was not refundable. put an x____________________ under your return policy and make the customer sign it. (they need to sign right by the return policy, you could even stay something like "by signing here I agree with XYZ,s return policy" that should work for all credit card companies.
For phone orders get an email from the customer saying he is aware the sale is non refundable, even though we the merchant are the cc companies source of revenue, we are guilty until proven innocent in their eyes

Lucky for me I do have an email a
stating the policy AND the signed contract!! woot woot!