• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client requested black PVC - Here's what I've come up with

SqueeGee

We're doing about 80 lot signs for a builder. The signs are 1/4" PVC with with a full color print on one side. They are mounted to a 4x4 post with a pyramid cap(or pyramid shape at the top of the post). We get 6' posts and 2' go in the ground, leaving 4' out of the ground. Typically the posts are white PVC and we start with 12 footers, then cut them in half. The builder has his team handle the installs. They do not put wood 4'x4' inside of these.

The builder's graphic designer now wants to use black posts. Unable to find black PVC, I got a PostCoat sample and tried it out on top of white PVC. It looks fine. They'll add about $7 in material cost per post over what they cost before, plus the labor to shrink them on and the labor/materials to spray the caps black. I'm concerned about how these will hold up to weed eaters and general mistreatment.

The other option that I've come up with are black recycled plastic posts. I've found a supplier for these that comes is below the cost of the standard white PVC posts which is great. They are solid through and through, which means and I can just cut the tops with a chop saw to create the pyramid top. The problem? The supplier tells me that they bow in the sun, black especially. For our application, he said that I could expect the top to be out of square by up to TWO INCHES depending on sun exposure.

So as it stands now, we're going to offer both solutions to the client, carefully highlighting the pros and cons of each.

My question is - Has anyone else found a better solution? Will the PVC posts with black PostCoats bow in the sun also if they don't use wood 4x4's inside them? Has anyone used black recycled plastic posts? Did they bow in the sun as much as described?

Here's the link to the black recycled plastic post supplier:
http://www.allenventures.com/lumber.htm

And PostCoats:
http://shop.postcoats.com/main.sc

Thanks for any ideas!

visual800

let me tell what that 1/4" black pvc is going to do in 2 months time this summer! you need to use 1/4" or 1/8" maxxmetal and we have actually taken pvc posts primed them and sprayed them with exterior latex, they make for a very clean and lightwiehgt post.

Stay away from that black pvc! no exceptions

visual800

The builder's graphic designer now wants to use black posts. Unable to find black PVC, I got a PostCoat sample and tried it out on top of white PVC. It looks fine. They'll add about $7 in material cost per post over what they cost before, plus the labor to shrink them on and the labor/materials to spray the caps black. I'm concerned about how these will hold up to weed eaters and general mistreatment.

Heres where the problem is he is NOT a sign guy, step up to the placte stand your ground and tell him how it is. if they insist on black pvc get paid up front and offer NO WARRANTY

CanuckSigns

What about painting standard wood 4x4's with black paint?

I'd be more concerned with the 0.25" pvc that the sign is made from, especially between 2 posts, i can't see that holding up well.

SqueeGee

We don't have any issues with the sign substrate(it's white, not black BTW). We do these all the time and they perform fine.

It's one sign per post(not two as someone above mentioned).

The builder has been resistant to painted wood posts in the past but we could offer that as an option.

Aluminum may be an option also. I'll need to price it out but my sense is that it will prove to be prohibitively expensive.

Does anyone have experience with black PVC and/or recycled plastic posts particularly in regard to bowing in sunlight?

Last edited:

visual800

my painted pvc posts have not warped after installing in ground we pour about 2' of concrete inside them. they are lasting better than treated wood. we usally scuff them up, prime with 2 part epoxy and spray black satin latex on them. they rock!

I guarantee you when he hears the price of aluminum post he will freak out and im not talking about those thin walled aluminum post for patio covers with the flutes running lengthwise on them (yes we have companies over here putting that crap up) they are not attrative.

We have bought round and square tubing it is not cheap and then of course they have to be acid washed and painted cause they are mill finish UNLESS you find some painted ones.

HulkSmash

How big are the signs? Believe it or not that will actually play a large roll in weather the posts will fail or not without the wood in it. Also i agree with the PVC.. 1/4 inch won't last long.. at least not over here.. not sure where you're located. I've actually had PVC literally crumble in between 2 digital prints before.. not fun.

We did about 500 lot signs 4 years ago. 1/2 black PVC with vinyl and 4' 4x4 PT post one coat of primer two coats of latex black. So after 3 years post looks fine, PVC faded, crumbles if you hit it, warp in some cases. Other development same concept only instead of PVC we used 1/2 MDO. If you clean them once in a blue moon they look like they were made yesterday. Do not use copper tops buy plastic which look like copper.

SqueeGee

The signs are 18" x 24". Sign durability has not been an issue in the five years we've been doing this client's projects.

These are temporary signs that are installed on each available lot(no concrete). After the lot is sold and the house is finished, the sign will be refaced and installed on another lot.

visual800

IMO an 18x24 is going to look pretty odd on a 4" post 4' in the air, but if you have done these before so be it. and if your are spaying the caps why not spray the posts.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Does anyone use metal black steel or galvanized posts back there?
It's pretty easy to work/finish & not much of a worry with warping.
Too expensive?

wayne k
guam usa

Typestries

standard PVC post sleeves + black rustoleum + 10-15% lacquer thinner (yes, not paint thinner) spray away. great coverage and you cant get that shiz off.

Those black recycled milk jug posts will twist up like a twizzler in the sun.......