• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Client wants Spray Painted words on painted brick

G-Artist

I wouldn't use an oil base paint (Ronan or 1-Shot) on a latex paint. Though 1-Shot does make a water base paint. You need to know what kind of paint the building has been painted with. I would assume it is a Latex.

I made the mistake early on of using an oil base sign paint on a latex base and had peeling problems that occured very quickly.

Obviously you have some bad experience here. I am not questioning that.

But normally applying any oil based paint over latex is not an issue. The opposite usually is.

My big bugaboo is painting anything over where Behr paint has been used. That is
a big seller from the big box home improvement stores and that paint is CRAP!!! all
the way around. It doesn't matter whether I am applying enamels or latex or acrylics
on top. An interim solution is to put a coat of univeral prime over the previous
paint first. Even then there is no guarantee.

That applies to anything used on a painted surface. You could use double-sided
tape that will affix a fender to a car and hang a sign with it to a painted wall
and the failure will be the paint. After all, you are not sticking anything to the wall,
but rather just the paint on the wall. If the paint sucks, the sign will fail.

Flame

But normally applying any oil based paint over latex is not an issue. The opposite usually is.

Exactly. I've done a few jobs with one shot, and always over latex, and never a issue.