• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clogged heads - suggestions needed

robsonr

Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask you about your opinion. I have been doing some nozzle cleaning, head wash and custody wash overnight for about a week and this is a test print I get. There has been some improvement on a cyan head, but not on the other print heads. I was thinking of filling all the cartridges with the flush fluid ( acetone and butyl cellosolve ) and pumping whole content of all cartridges though all the heads. Is it a right thing to do? Could it help? Are there any other options to consider, before I go and buy new heads? Can black and magenta heads be used as they are, or they need to be replaced as well?

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

• testprint_20120131.jpg
    testprint_20120131.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 130

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Eeeek....those are not pretty. You can do the flush from the cartridges....might help. Mind me asking...how did they get that way?

MikePro

flushing won't cure that... you should be looking at your yellow head (and possibly a part of the cyan head) for a scratch across the nozzles. In that case, you need at least a new yellow head. I'm guessing cyan as well because it appears that the displacement carries from one pattern into the other in the same path.

(my money's on the paper cutting blade coming loose and falling out of its holder, then getting pinched as the carriage traveled by...spearing your printheads)

you're magenta and black heads look great, i wouldn't worry about a couple of blocked nozzles here or there.

at least an answer to your other question, yes you can do a headwash with cleaning cartridges full of homebrew acetone/butylcellusolve mix.
On the other hand, filling old ink cartridges with cleaner? idk, i wouldn't recommend it since you're watering down the debris/crusty ink and then shoving it through your printheads (think blood clots, ink clots). my printer came with a set of cleaning cartridges with the blank chips meant for headwashing, and I've just been refilling them on my own for the last few years.

robsonr

flushing won't cure that... you should be looking at your yellow head (and possibly a part of the cyan head) for a scratch across the nozzles. In that case, you need at least a new yellow head. I'm guessing cyan as well because it appears that the displacement carries from one pattern into the other in the same path.

I moved the carriage with heads to the most left side and inspected the print heads, but I didn't see any scratches. I must admit, that it is hard to see there, so I might overlook some damage. If I remove the head from the carriage, do I need to do re-alignment after I install it back?

MikePro

usually, yes, you would need alignment after reinstalling a printhead but that can wait until after you've solved your printhead problem. test prints don't require perfect alignment.

4R Graphics

Couple of things first use butyl carbitol not the cellulosive I found you can get it in1 gallon bottles from Sherwin -Will@m$ (especially if you are using Triangle inks). Second I would try to flush fluid throught the heads with a syringe several times over and over until you get a good flow through the nozzles youll see when you do it (this has worked for me many times). You can leave the heads in the carriage just fold up a paper towel and lay it on top of the rails for the wiper slide the head over the towel remove the dampner then hook up a syringe full of fluid and push it through the head slow apply just enough pressure so that you get a lite stream through the unclogged nozzles dont over due it or you can blow out the head. Go to youtube and watch the video of the printhead doctor you will see what i mean about the stream. Do this at your own risk I will not be responsible for any damage you may incurre.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd agree with Mike - yellow and cyan appear to be physically damaged. My guess is either the blade holder or a screw backed out on the capping station at some point (this also works well for destroying $800+ printheads - I know this from experience...). With the machine off you can push the head carriage all the way to the left end. Remove that left lower cover on the machine and you can get a much better view of the heads for inspection and cleaning. Thats what that section and removable cover are for. ;)

Robert M

That head

I would also go with damage to the head, I would take them out and have a look at the bottom. Take a look at the screws that are between the cap tops. We are seeing the top of the capping assy swell up when certian aftermarket inks are used. Once this happens the screws strike the head right in the center. (like your yellow head)
If they are good set them in a clean tray so just the bottom is in the flushing solution. Now try to suck fluid back up through the head, this may free junk stuck in the V shaped nozzels

All else fails get some new heads that I just happen to have on my site

www.solventinkjet.com

mention signs 101 and you get free dampers.

robsonr

Tonight I again checked the heads and I cannot see any scratches/damage on them. Pictures are attached. I'm going to try take them out this weekend and try what Robert M suggested.

Attachments

• black_magenta.jpg
    black_magenta.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 98
  • yellow_cyan.jpg
    yellow_cyan.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 114

MikePro

new wiper blade and a good cleaning, at the very least.
hard to make out from the photo, and under all the ink, but it wasn't as clear of a scratch as I expected it to be.

regardless, clean those heads!

4R Graphics

Hard to see if there are any scratches in a photo but they look ok to me.

I will tell you I have had issues like you are having and doing like I posted earlier has recovered the heads it just takes a while and is messy.

I built my own head cleaning system like the print doctors and it works really well. But doing it with a syringe will work just fine try it I bet you will get some of them back.

Again I can not be held responssible for damage you may do.

woahdude

i dont know if the dampers/pump are shot or the heads fugged or what but the black on head 2 wont print, no matter how many cleanings or nozzle washes i do. however the other colors work just fine. will i hurt anything if i just run it anyways and have the other heads pick up the black slack? from what i see black prints are barely made of the black ink anyways, more a combo of the other colors. if not im stuck running just head 1 til the s[pring when i can afford new parts

J Hill Designs

i dont know if the dampers/pump are shot or the heads fugged or what but the black on head 2 wont print, no matter how many cleanings or nozzle washes i do. however the other colors work just fine. will i hurt anything if i just run it anyways and have the other heads pick up the black slack? from what i see black prints are barely made of the black ink anyways, more a combo of the other colors. if not im stuck running just head 1 til the s[pring when i can afford new parts

might be fun to start your own thread?