• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Clogged SP 300

About a year ago I purchased a clogged up Mutoh Falcon for what I thought was a good deal, dumped a ton of money into fixing it up and later sold it because I never could get it to print right. I said I would never buy a broke down printer again, but I have found a used Roland SP 300 that has made me reconsider that. It is very clean and the listing says it has been converted to an SP 300-V (I'm not sure what that means). However it has sat unplugged with ink in it, so it is clogged up. I know the Rolands are much nicer machines than the Falcons, so my question is what is it worth in its current state? I guess the other big question would be is it possible to replace print heads and other parts myself, or are Rolands too complicated for do it yourself repairs?

greysquirrel

Its not difficult to change the head if you know what you are doing...be carful not to damage the manifold...

why wouldnt you just purchase a new HP l110? its only $9500

QUOTE=SellersSign&Design;1258984]About a year ago I purchased a clogged up Mutoh Falcon for what I thought was a good deal, dumped a ton of money into fixing it up and later sold it because I never could get it to print right. I said I would never buy a broke down printer again, but I have found a used Roland SP 300 that has made me reconsider that. It is very clean and the listing says it has been converted to an SP 300-V (I'm not sure what that means). However it has sat unplugged with ink in it, so it is clogged up. I know the Rolands are much nicer machines than the Falcons, so my question is what is it worth in its current state? I guess the other big question would be is it possible to replace print heads and other parts myself, or are Rolands too complicated for do it yourself repairs?[/QUOTE]

I have looked at the 110's, they are still an option. I have been sending out everything that I can't print on my Edge, but I have had a lot of issues lately with turn around time and incorrect prints. It would just make life a lot easier to have a printer in house. I don't need anything huge or fancy, most of my work is fire apparatus graphics which normally aren't over 24" wide and the printer will only run 2-3 days a week. I have been keeping an eye out for used machines and this one popped up for what seems to be a decent price, I just wanted to do some research and see exactly what I would be getting into.

Sign Works

Main differences between SP-300 & SP-300V are as follows.

SP-300 ... Roland ColorChoice RIP ... Roland EcoSol Ink
SP-300V ... Roland Versaworks RIP ... Roland EcoSol Max Ink

You can find perfectly working SP-300V's for approx 4-5K. The machine your looking at could need 2K or more worth of parts, the 2K would cover print heads, cap tops, dampers, wipers. Hard to say, it could need less or much much more.

player

You would want to count on 2 new heads. Dampers x 4. Two captops. New lines.

Then ask why was it tanked? Did it have some other major issue that left it unable to run a decommission cleaning? Anyone who owns one knows leaving it without cleaning the ink out will kill it so I would say NO! $100? Na, I would still move on. It is 1st gen sp300, 2002-2003 era. 12 years old.

Spend your time and money on a machine that works when you buy it. Roland has what they call "variable wave technology" that is supposed too eliminate or reduce banding on newer machines. I would look at the newer machines that will be supporting the new Max 3 ink upgrade/conversions.

player

Yes it would most likely need a new cable, maybe a scan motor, feed motor, main board, head board, servo board, encoder strip, encoder eye, cutting head, power supply, heater...etc.