• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC. Own One?

S

Sign-Man Signs

We are think about adding a CNC machine to our tool inventory. Can't decide on which is better vs cost effective. 48 x 48 or 48 x 96 bed? Anyone own on of these? If so which model? Any info will help. We contacted a few of the sales reps but as you know everybodies is the "Best on the Market".

zmatalucci

I don't have one yet. However I think my dilemma would be either a 4'8' or go with a 5'-10'. A 4'-4' is just way to small IMO, how would you do a 4-8?
It's just like everybody that bought a 30" printer now wants a 54" so they dont have to tile 4-8's.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Yea, that's our problem. 4 x 4 would be great for doing letters and such along with logos. Guess we have it decide which is best. I don't know if we would ever route a whole sign or not. Hoping someone on the forum has already made the trip and can help out.

SignManiac

5'x10' Multicam here. If you're going to get into CNC then buy as much as you can realistically afford. I would not invest in anything smaller than 4'x8' at a minimum.

Do as much research as possible before signing on the dotted line. There is a lot you need to know besides what size table to get. Power requirements, vacuum hold down, dust collection, software, 2-1/2D, 3-D, feed rates, bits, materials you can cut, space requirements, tech support response time, etc. etc.

If you going to buy one and can afford it I STRONGLY recommend a 5'x10'. Everyone who has bought a 4x8 always wishes they could have bought a larger footprint cut.

Also don't buy a machine where you hear 6-10" per second. Rarely will you go above 2.5" per second for sign fabrication.