• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

CNC Routers . . . Best Value with Performance

Replicator

Any other Router owners want to jump in and make any suggestions . . .

I was hoping to spend about $8000.00 . . . !

Is it possible to spend that amount and still get a decent piece of equipment ?

andy

OK, my take on this is to look for good control software- not jazzy stuff like ArtCam but the boring program that controls the actual machine- if this is rubbish then you will struggle.

Size- go for the biggest machine you can get. Small, desktop machines are pointless- you can cut letters but that's about all.

Spindles- get a good make, this is one of the most expensive parts of the whole system. I am fortunate that my ELTE spindles are made in Italy and I can get them repaired quickly and at a great price simply by shipping them back to the manufacturer.

Stepper V Servo- if you can, get servo. If you can't get the best quality stepper motors you can. Motion control motors range from dirt cheap to mucho expensive- you get what you pay for.

Vaccum hold down- you need this.

Auto Tool Change- if you can afford it 3D work gets so much easier.

Servicing & parts- when you are established downtime costs you big time. You can pay for a tech guy to do this or I prefer to really understand the machine and do this myself.

Where to buy- there is a US based site that always has a heap of used machines for sale. Personally I'd rather have a used top brand router than el cheapo new one. Can't recall the name of the site by a google for used cnc should bring it up.

What do you plan to use routing for? I found routing to be brilliant for wood and plastic but metals... forget it (hence the reason for buying waterjet)

Replicator

there is a US based site that always has a heap of used machines for sale. Personally I'd rather have a used top brand router than el cheapo new one. Can't recall the name of the site by a google for used cnc should bring it up.

What do you plan to use routing for? I found routing to be brilliant for wood and plastic but metals... forget it (hence the reason for buying waterjet)

Looking for a 96x48 . . . for routing wood, corian, etc.

If you remember the name of that site you referred to . . . Let me know !

Poconopete

cnczone.com/classifieds/index.php always has machines for sale.
You can also find some on shopbots forum talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/11097/11097.html?1186695288

nuke

signs since 1999
Shopbot

I have had a shopbot 48 x 96 for 5yrs and it has been a work horse used mostly for shapes. I have cut 1/4" aluminum for 3 days in a row with no problem. I do very high detail carved signs. Make sure that you get good software (ARTCAM PRO) THE BEST in my book. MY EXPERIENCE.

SignManiac

Replicator check out www.ez-router.com
I've yet to see anything comparable in that price range. With a decent spindle, vacuum holddown and dust collector you would still be way under $20k. It's a solid steel table and comes pretty much plug and play.

I only wish my Multicam would have been that inexpensive.

michigansignguy

I have a dyna made router. I am not sold on dyna or their customer service. I know some other customers who are less than happy also. Feel free to contact me If you would like a more specific answer.

AARON_INK.

CNCrouterstore.com is great! I just bought a MultiCam from Kevin over there and it was a great buy. I might have a Gerber Sabre 4x4 (true cutting area 54"x54") for sale. If this is something your interested in hit me up!

Aaron

Columbia Signs

We bought a Multicam MG series router. It seems like a good router, but I don't know much about routing. This is our 1st router and we're having trouble getting anyone that really knows anything to be able to help us. The Multicam reps are good at knowing how to make it work, but I my trouble is figuring out what to do with it!

Sleepy

I have had a Shopbot benchtop for 5 years. Mine was one of the first ones produced. It paid for itself in 6 months and all I do with it is residential signage.
David