• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coating for signs?

jviola

I just painted 3 signs on MDO board, I primed the boards with Kilz, then I put an exterior white background on them, then I painted them with a mixture of ONE SHOT paint and exterior paint. My question is should I put some type of coating or covering on them to seal everything even more? If so, what kind?

Flame

First mistake was using a exterior white (assuming Latex?). If you want them to last even longer, I'd suggest looking into bulletin colors.

Secondly though, if you're using all enamels, don't worry about a coating. One shot lasts great outdoors, and half of the clear coats or coatings you might spray on there, will fail before the one shot does.

Good luck! :)

wes70

Actually, a good 100% acrylic latex will outlast oil paints 2-1. I personally, have finally made the switch to using acrylic 100% of the time. As of lately, I hear a lot of complaints from others that 1 shot doesn't hold up like it used to, especially reds.

Jillbeans

I think they will be fine as is.
If anything, any coating you put on them will break down before the other paints will.
I used exterior latex for backgrounds my first 15 years in the biz, hand-lettered with 1S.
I only switched to oil-based enamels for backgrounds after I started cutting vynull, the stickers didn't stick so well to latex.
Love....Jill

skyhigh

Actually, a good 100% acrylic latex will outlast oil paints 2-1. I personally, have finally made the switch to using acrylic 100% of the time. As of lately, I hear a lot of complaints from others that 1 shot doesn't hold up like it used to, especially reds.

:thumb: true.