• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color issue going from RGB to CMYK.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Any ideas on how to "keep" this blue as it is shown on the attachment while converting the file to CMYK? Have a customer who provided the original image - using it for multiple things like banners and whatnot. Everything I print looks great but when I get their business cards done it comes out very purple - if I convert the image to CMYK ahead of time (like 4over prefers) then it looks atrocious. I'm hoping I can convert the background to CMYK but everything I try in photoshop after conversion - I cannot get the blue even remotely close.

On things I print in house (using CMYK inks) I can nail them near dead on. I created all of our own profiles but sumbitting files for print on offset like this is a bit new to me. Most of the cards I've done in the past have came out pretty darn close - even if I convert them to CMYK (SWOP) in photoshop ahead of time or not. Just seems that the blue on this one is impossible to hit if the file is CMYK. :frustrated:

Attachments

• evblue.jpg
    evblue.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 83

signswi

Almost the entire image is out of gamut for CMYK. Open it up in Photoshop, go to View->Gamut Warning and look for yourself. Or mouse over an area with the Info window up and notice all the ! marks on the CMYK side of the window (out of gamut).

You're not going to hit those colors with CMYK alone.

Looking at it quickly Converting to GRACoL2006_Coated1v2 using ACE with Perceptual intent and Black Point Compensation is a decent starting point, at least it's still sort-of blue, not purple. Almost no vibrancy though.

You've tried just letting your RIP do the conversion already? Large Format RIPs properly calibrated can handle a slightly wider CMYK gamut than default CMYK color spaces...that's usually the best option.

Edit: I see now you mentioned 4over...this is why I build relationships with local printers. When I design for offset I don't touch the conversion and let the print house handle it as they've calibrated color spaces for their specific equipment. Let them work their magic, check the soft-proofs, and do a press check on the live runs until I'm comfortable enough with the vendor to skip them.

Last edited:

Master's Touch

You are just going to have to take it on the chin on this and realize you may not get that level of vibrancy. In situations like this, I convert the image to cmyk if Ive designed in RGB and just let it do what it will. Then I work with the color controls in photoshop to get it as close as I can. That's the best you are going to get for offset press.

Rooster

The gamut of a large format inkjet (especially blue) is far superior to what's attainable by an offset press using just CMYK.

You'd need to add a special blue to your offset run to match the color properly.