• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Color lift to transfer paper?

mekazilla

I had some decals printed on a gerber on clear scotchcal 220. They were printed silver and black.
I'm masking them and I noticed that the color lifts on to the transfer paper when removed. I'm guess a small amount is normal, right?
Does more come off if the transfer is on for a long time.
thanks

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
a small amount is fine....it doesn't hurt the print....just make sure that the prints set at least fifteen minutes before taping, and if you have it, use a medium tack transfer tape....

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The technical term is fogging. It is simply excess pigment that has transferred for the foil film but has not been transferred to the vinyl. It is normal and nothing to be concerned about. You will see it with more with pigment heavy foils like Cobalt Blue, Tomato Red and Spot White. You will also see it more with midrange halftones where the print gets filled in a bit and then the excess stays with the transfer tape.

zgraphics

this happen me today, the color lifted with tranfertape... the print wasn't totally dry...
Alllow the print to dry before applying transfertape.