• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Colorspan 72UVX - PLEASE HELP US!!!!

Color City

Hi - We are new members as of today. We are hoping to hear from anyone that has a Colorspan 72UVX. We have been having all kinds of problems with this machine since day one. The most recent problem is the worst of all... it just stops printing in the middle of every print job..both banners and substrates. The techs say they don't know what is wrong and that we just have to keep replacing parts and see if that will fix it. First they said the encoder strip and encoder reader, now they say the headboard ($2,700.00 part plus install) and that still may not be the problem. Anyone, please help us!! Also, if you know a place to get these parts cheap let us know.
Thanks to all,

Color City
714 892 2090

Last edited:

Mspec

you say that the unit stops printing in the middle of the prints, does it stop with an error code, or does the ink stop jetting while the carriage sontinues to move as if it is printing?

hydo1

If you are getting error code #01100006, that is the same problem I have having and don't have a clue how to resolve it. Do a search on here for that code and you should find a thread with more information.

VTSigns

I have been working through the same problem. I replaced the encoder and data cable. The thing that made it work properly was cleaning the encoder reader thoroughly. I took a strip of lint free cloth and taped it onto the encoder using painters tape. I then sprayed 70% isopropyl alcohol on it. I ran the reader back and forth several times. Make sure you clean both sides of the encoder read. It finally started working and hasn't stopped since. Good Luck

Color City

Thanks to all who have responded back to me. When the printer stops we get "carriage encoder error code 0220E002" then it follows with "carriage motion failure." We will try cleaning the encoder reader again like Preppie sugjested. Cross my fingers! Thanks.

Mspec

that error code means the carriage can't see the tick marks on the encoder strip. if the carriage stops in the same general area every time, inspect the encoder strip for damage. ( in that area ) it is easier to see if you put a white piece of paper under the strip when you look at it. if the errors happen in random locations, follow the advice already posted on cleaning the inside of your encoder reader ( thats good advice ) if neither of those fix your issue, your motor could be failing. A failing motor will usually run good until it gets hot, so if you can usually run for a while, but then see a lot of errors, but it will run good after it cools down your carriage drive motor could need new brushes, ( you should be able to find brushes if you google the model and make of the motor, easy fix ) or could be throwing a bearing. ( this would require a new motor ) lastly, your carriage drive belt could be loose, or bald on the backside causing the drive shaft to slip. ( tighten belt, flip it over, or replace it. ) Good luck..

kev324

I had the same problem with it's bigger brother the 98uvx. Keeping the encoder strip clean seemed to be the most helpful in solving the problem but sometimes it would still crash. Also, after cleaning the encoder strip, send the carriage down to the service end and clean the encoder reader. You'll need to tilt it off the rail to access it. Use either light isopropyl or canned air. Dust can accumulate on the reader making it hard to read the strip. Use caution if you use alcohol on the strip because if you rub hard enough, you can take the tick marks off. I can't believe that the manual actually recommends using print flush to clean it, that stuff removes everything!

If the headboard is bad you should see a small silver capacitor trapped behind the board, or possibly in front. This seems to be a fairly common occurrence, we just replaced ours for this reason about 4 months ago. Printer would work a little then die. Had they used decent manufacturing techniques, it could probably be repaired. The caps are soldered to the surface of the board, not through the board. The soldered pads were ripped off when the cap fell.

One tech I dealt with recommended keeping anything unnecessary off of the workstation PC and defragging often. Seemed to help a little but didn't solve the issue entirely.

We also replaced the carriage drive motor about 8 months ago, although ours was working when hot but not when cold. That did help with the cancellations for awhile but it seemed to be more an encoder problem in the long run. Motor was more of an issue at the start of the day, but not really a problem once it was printing.

Skye

I am interested in an update on how this issue got resolved.
we are experiencing the same problem.

thanks
Skye

kookoo660

The encoder strip is a mylar piece with painted click marks, from the regular routine cleanings that are needed to be done, the paint rubs off, no way around it, every 1 to 2 years needs to be replaced.

hodamizou

clean the encoder reader. You'll need to tilt it off the rail to access it. Use either light isopropyl or canned air. Dust can accumulate on the reader making it hard to read the strip.
I cannot find the encoder reader. I wiped the encoder strip several times already with 70% alcohol, but I need to clean the encoder reader. Could you please email a picture of the encoder reader to me? My email is dhuang@marchingtechnology.com
Much Thanks!