• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ColorSpan 9840UV

Ditchmiester

I'm doing some research on Digital Printers and I can get a good deal on a Colorspan 9840UV. From what I have seen either people love these printers or hate them. Just looking for someone who has one who can give an honest opinion of how it prints and how it has held up. The one I'm looking at is 6 years old and i'm told is in good condition. I'm going to schedule a trip to go see it in the next week or so. Any one have good questions I can ask about a used digital printer?

Thanks in advance,

Ditch

Ditchmiester

Artbot- to be honest they are asking 30k for it. Not knowing much about it I thought it sounded like a deal considering it was 150k new.

Are there comparable used printers (doesn't have to be 98") for the 30k range?

We are just looking to get into digital printing and don't want to spend 100k plus to learn how but are looking for somewhat production machine. Maybe in the 200 sq ft an hour range. Also doesn't need white ink eventually we will upgrade to a new printer but just don't have the funds right now.

Thanks.

Ditchmiester

Oh another thing to throw out there. The printer I really want is an FB500 or FB700 that's why I'm intrigued by the 9840UV so much because it has the same type feed system. I don't want something with pinch rollers. I would likea traditional flat bed or the vacuum belt system offered in those printers. If this helps at all.

Thanks

artbot

i'm not the guy to ask, only flatbed owners can answer that. there were a lot of belt feed models that were horrible that came out, while several true flatbeds at the same time worked properly. fuji/oce early models sell used for around $40k. the only belt feed you can get in your price range is the vutek 200/600. there are a ton of them out there which provides big user base. not photographic. i'd avoid the whole category at $30k unless you are a very mechanical person. you won't be able to get a service contract and if $30k is your budget the repairs are out of your budget. just a single part on some of these machines can be priced like a NASA made it.

for instance here's a thread where someone spent $130,000 keeping a 9840 running

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35320&highlight=shutter

or thousands for a piece of metal

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93297

for now develop the market, outsource the orders to the big dogs and enjoy the profits. having a semi-decent flatbed in your shop will not be the way to impress your big clients. and whatever you do, do it six months from now after reading extensively on the subject. the fact that you "almost" paid $30k for a 98 series means that you are a sucker waiting to happen.