• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Coloured Vinyl for Latex Printers

JamesLam

Hello gang,

Are there coloured vinyl product that is suitable for printing with an HP365? Or am I limited to UV or solvent compatible materials?

In this case I need to print black on yellow.

JBurton

Signtologist
I think it was AndyD, god rest his soul posts, that was printing dark colors onto colored vinyl with a latex printer. I know you can print 3m 7725 24" white (this is the series with the clear synthetic liner), as I've done that before, but from what I recall, it made weeding a bit harder, as if heating the material caused the adhesive to slightly activate.
Printing black onto yellow sounds easy, the other way around you'd likely need a white ink under the yellow, unless you're after that 'ghost piss' effect. Have you considered just dropping black vinyl on top of yellow? From the cost of 3m, and amount required to sacrifice on a hp latex, I'd totally buy the two colors vs printing on one, at least if it was a one or two face job.

Last edited:

BigNate

I have loaded a sample of 3M 2080 into the 700w and made a few tests... the abrasion/smudge test area was able to dry and I believe the ink was fully adhered to the surface- but I did not have more and did not print beyond the test patterns as I only had a couple of yards. (you need to peel off the protective layer before trying to print - I assume this is obvious.)

BigNate

I was already yelling at the screen when I read 2080.
I forget, does the 700 run a cooler curing unit, or is it about the same as the previous generation?

it does have a large curing area - mostly under heaters, but you can control the heat --- I have already turned down the heat on most vinyl profiles as they become very flimsy. Not sure how this affects the longevity of the adhesive - it was a sample piece of 2080 and I though I would give it a try... (I have also tried printing on the media left over form our dead aqueous Cannon 8300 - prints look awesome, but wipe off like dry erase.)

I have not owned latex prior to the 700w, so I am not sure how the others adjust their curing temp...

I was already yelling at the screen when I read 2080.
I forget, does the 700 run a cooler curing unit, or is it about the same as the previous generation?
Yes, the Gen4 Latex printers use significantly lower heat signatures than all of the previous Latex printers. Most medias cure at temperatures lower than 195-degrees Fahrenheit on the 600/ 700/ 800 Series, (unless using a very low pass mode like 4-pass).

netsol

I think it was AndyD, god rest his soul, that was printing dark colors onto colored vinyl with a latex printer. I know you can print 3m 7725 24" white (this is the series with the clear synthetic liner), as I've done that before, but from what I recall, it made weeding a bit harder, as if heating the material caused the adhesive to slightly activate.
Printing black onto yellow sounds easy, the other way around you'd likely need a white ink under the yellow, unless you're after that 'ghost piss' effect. Have you considered just dropping black vinyl on top of yellow? From the cost of 3m, and amount required to sacrifice on a hp latex, I'd totally buy the two colors vs printing on one, at least if it was a one or two face job.
"god rest his soul"?
i thought he had just left the forum.

JBurton

Signtologist
I just turned 70. It's that stage of life where every time you call an old friend there is a better than even chance they won't be above room temperature any more...
My old man's right behind you, he peruses the obits like I used to the detention center bookings, except the entertainment value is... not the same.

netsol

i still run around like i am 25
i always tell one of the kids that works for me he has no stamina
a year or 2 back, he responded, "we worked a network install all night and i kept up with you
(of course i am 2 years younger than his grandfather, NOT SURE what kind of medal i need to give him!)