• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Comparison of the cost

robsonr

Hi,

I don't have printing equipment neither experience, but I would like to know whether it is cheaper to print 3 color decal on vinyl and cut it out, or it is more economical to cut 3 color layers of the vinyl and lay them over each other to crate same decal. Is it size dependent, where let say it is cheaper to layer vinyl for small decals and print for large ….
Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

CheapVehicleWrap

I'd say print all around. You never mentioned quantity. Do you mean more economical rather that "cheap". I just can't stand that word.

robsonr

Yes, more economical might be better wording.
Basically, right now I have just cutter and people inquire about different kind of decals and give them price based on layering of vinyl. I don't know whether I am offering competitive price when I compete with other businesses who can print the same decal. This is what I'm trying to figure out. Basically comparison of the price for square feet of printed versus layered vinyl.

Is the color stability of the printed vinyl same as of the color vinyl?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A straight comparison is more complex than your question allows for.

• Equipment investment is much higher with print & cut.
  • Labor is normally higher for cut and weed.
  • Materials are slightly higher for 3 layers weeded than for print & laminate.
  • Durability is normally better for vinyl versus print.
  • Overlamination is needed for most printing.
  • Versatility is better for print versus vinyl.
  • Space needed and ventilation is greater for print.
  • Workflow is more complex for print.
No rudeness intended, but if material costs are your highest concern, you don't understand the business you propose to be in. Generally speaking, the industry is going to print because a greater range of products at an overall lower cost and at a higher selling price can be produced in that medium.

HulkSmash

No rudeness intended, but if material costs are your highest concern, you don't understand the business you propose to be in. Generally speaking, the industry is going to print because a greater range of products at an overall lower cost and at a higher selling price can be produced in that medium.

Best explained above. Very well put.

robsonr

Thank you Fred for comprehensive comparison. I failed to mention, that I am very new to this business. I didn't meant just material cost, but regardless, you are right in sense I am just learning the business.
Anyway, you very well answered the question. Basically I need to look into buying some printing equipment to be on a competitive edge.
Could somebody please tell me what equipment I need - printer, laminating machine, anything else ...? What Are the important features of the printer I need to be aware of when I will be choosing a printer to buy?

Thank you everybody for your help.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you consider farming out first ??

• You still have no overhead invested.
  • You learn how to make files without investing in printing equipment or rip software.
  • You can still give you customers basically a competitive product competitively priced, if you don't get greedy.
  • You can see if this will work for you and build a digital following without the huge investment in all the things Fred mentioned.

Then, one day comes along and some customer wants you to do this extensive project which will pay for your printer... or at least a huge portion of it. Now you can afford to get the printer, had the time to figure out what machines you like and have the space to put it without having monthly payments for the next four years.

Presto, you're suddenly in the digital field and it hardly cost you a thing. :thumb: