• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Conserving pictur resolution when creating PDF

Move In Media

Ok, so I was trying to create a PDF for our price list using the JPEGs I created in Photoshop. The goal was to make it small file size, decent resolution and keep it in the 8.5"x11" size for printing. Everytime I used the full size JPEGs the PDF came out superlarge(like 25MB), and if I re-sized the JPEGs in PS, the resulting PDF lost in resolution. I spent hours tweaking this setting and that, saving in different formats, resizing each layer... still nothing. I was advised that this could be done in Illustrator, but I didnt have it... I was ready to give up and find some kind of middle ground between not too low resolution and not too large file size when I decided to try a weird solution.

Inserted the full sized JPEG into Word and then used the resulting word file to make the PDF. And it worked! The pdf is still not as small(2.7MB) as it could be when created through Illustrator(1.4MB), but at least its not like 25MB.....

Sometimes the simplest, dumbest solutions are the ones that work best....

Move In Media

I know you can save it as a Reduced Size PDF, but the whole point was to make the resulting pdf proportions 8.5"x11" if I just used the full size jpeg, the pdf reflected that size, and when I resized the jpeg, there was a significant loss in image resolution... I just couldnt figure out how to change the pdf proportions in Acrobat.... kind of a noob to this...

jfiscus

Rap Master
If you have InDesign, try that; it's what I like to use for combining images & creating proofs. Makes great PDFs also.