• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering a Summa

RiXaX

I'm wanting to replace my Graphtec and considering a Summa. There are no dealers near me where I can demo any models. I don't print, but cut vinyl, heavy sandblast rubber, need to pen plot and pounce paper patterns and cut reflective. Looking for something that runs 30" material. Can someone make a recommendation? and are you all happy with yours? What pitfalls should I be aware of? Would there be warnings if I were to look at a used piece of equipment? How is their support?

rjssigns

I've had my 24" Summa for over 15 years. Beat it senseless for 10 until we got our first printer. I would load a 50yd roll and go to dinner. No issues.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Summa is a California based company, but I dont know how far they are from you.

Personally, I wouldnt purchase another brand. I love mine. Years ago, I was tasked with purchasing a plotter for a national sign company that I was working for, and I looked at them all (even had several brought in to test). Summa was one that I didnt see first hand, but I bought it. Best plotter by far. When I went out on my own, I didnt even look at another plotter, I just called and ordered a D60. Never a seconds problem, and top notch tech support.

tomence

As far as i know they are based in Seattle, WA and Peabody, MA.

You can buy direct from them.
The best cutter i have owned so far, like rjssigns said load a 50yrd roll and forget about readjusting.

FrankW

As far as i know they are based in Seattle, WA and Peabody, MA.

Correct. And in Gistel (Belgium, Europe), where the production is placed.

From what you want to do I would suggest a T-Model with tangential head, for 30"-media it could be the S75T. There will be a new model from january 2013, the S-Class2, with coloured touchscreen, Ethernet- and USB A-Port for USB-Sticks.

ProColorGraphics

I would HIGHLY recommend the S-Class T Series! I started out with the SummaCut and upgraded to the T series. There is definitely a reason they cost so much! Well worth the money. Call and talk with Drew. I think he's a VP there and very good to work with.

Robert Gruner

RiXaX

S75T will run 30" material; but, only cuts 29.2" wide. If you need to cut 30" then you must step up to S120T.

The tangential knife is much better suited for cutting rubber sand blast mask as well as the prismatic reflective films. The tangential knife lifts and turns at corners unlike the drag knife on most vinyl cutters.

You can purchase the cutter direct from Summa or from a host of dealers around the country.

Bob Gruner

FrankW

S75T will run 30" material; but, only cuts 29.2" wide. If you need to cut 30" then you must step up to S120T.

A S75T will run media of more than 30" width und will cut up to this size too in extended mode (29.2" in standard mode). Extended mode will needed to be set up everytime media is loaded, but if there is no need to use this width permanently a S75T is a solution.

Ditchmiester

Correct. And in Gistel (Belgium, Europe), where the production is placed.

From what you want to do I would suggest a T-Model with tangential head, for 30"-media it could be the S75T. There will be a new model from january 2013, the S-Class2, with coloured touchscreen, Ethernet- and USB A-Port for USB-Sticks.

I'm looking to get a new T series around the time of ISA I haven't heard anything of a new one coming out. Whee did you get that info from?

FrankW

The new S-Class 2 was shown at the Sign Istanbul Show (Turkey) in December, they should have started producing them in January.

I wasn't at the show in turkey, but we - as a dealer - have gotten this information with the December Dealer Bulletin. We will get our demo unit at the end of january.

The new S-Class will be in the same shape as before, but will include:

• a coloured touchscreen
  • a faster internal processor
  • an ethernet-Port (10/100Mbit), wireless will not be available anymore
  • USB A-Connector to transfer plotfiles directly from an USB-stick to the plotter
  • possibility to add additional pinch pollers in the field (as far as I think by technician), instead of the need to order it factory-installed
  • changes in the mechanics of the OPOS Sensor (will lead to faster processing) and less movements with sensor down.
  • modified Core Holders

Attachments

• S2_screen.jpg
    S2_screen.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 81

Ditchmiester

The new S-Class 2 was shown at the Sign Istanbul Show (Turkey) in December, they should have started producing them in January.

I wasn't at the show in turkey, but we - as a dealer - have gotten this information with the December Dealer Bulletin. We will get our demo unit at the end of january.

The new S-Class will be in the same shape as before, but will include:

• a coloured touchscreen
  • a faster internal processor
  • an ethernet-Port (10/100Mbit), wireless will not be available anymore
  • USB A-Connector to transfer plotfiles directly from an USB-stick to the plotter
  • possibility to add additional pinch pollers in the field (as far as I think by technician), instead of the need to order it factory-installed
  • changes in the mechanics of the OPOS Sensor (will lead to faster processing) and less movements with sensor down.
  • modified Core Holders

Thank you very much for the heads up. I think it will be worth waiting to get a newer model. They should have these to show at ISA right?