• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Considering buying a Roland sol jet 2 sc-540 printer/cutter

White Designs

Hey guys, new to signs101. I've been cutting vinyl making decals for a little over 3 years now with some off brand plotter. Found a fairly cheap Roland sc40 and wondering what the pros and cons are to them really. Also the printer has been sitting for a couple years but am being told it worked awesome up until then. Owner says with a good servicing it should be up and running no problem. It seems to be in good shape. I just don't know enough about these to know if what I think is fairly cheap is actually a good deal and if I should go through with it. He's asking $2,100. What do you think?
And sorry if this isn't the place for this post. Thanks!

FrankW

Hands off. Dangerous.

If this printer is in proofed working condition, $ 1'200 is a good price (SC540 is at minimum 11 years old). But if not, it could take several tousand Dollars to bring it up and running again. 6 x DX4-Heads, each of them around $500 or more, 12 Dampers, 6 Cap Tops, 3 Pumps ... this printer have a big chance to be a real money pit, even if you can do the work yourself.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Don't do it man, your asking for a nightmare! Those machines need to print all the time to keep the lines and heads in check.

lgroth

Bigfish is right... We have one, recently bought an XR640 and kept the old one for overflow and small jobs. Now that it's not being used daily it's a nightmare to keep it printing. An SC that has been idle for a while will probably need new heads...

niksagkram

If the owner says a good servicing will get it up and running, tell him/her to get it serviced before you even consider buying it! Then offer $1500.00 at the most. As FrankW said, it's not just heads to be concerned about.

Good luck.

Mark